M1 helmet lot numbers ww2-vietnam

WW2JAKE

Camaro69427

I now think you are correct ww2 Jake I just found an original ww2 configuration rear seam mccord with the same font style as mine

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

If you have one, try placing a bubble level on top of the helmet in question and a confirmed WWII shell. If it is not level, then you know the helmet in question is Vietnam era. If it is level...well...you get the idea.

juodonnell2012

What would you say about the one after i posted the comparison photos? Do you think it's a ww2 reissue? Either way I'm happy I only paid $20 for it at a shop it had a vietnam liner and an ERDL cover.

juodonnell2012

What would you say about the one after i posted the comparison photos? Do you think it's a ww2 reissue? Either way I'm happy I only paid $20 for it at a shop it had a vietnam liner and an ERDL cover.

• 1 month later...

Were all Parish Division of the Dana Corporation shells produced and shipped with the Vietnam Style crimp-on chinstraps? My brother has a Parish/Dana shell with the later clip-on Chinstraps. I'm assuming the straps have been changed, but want to make sure.

Sorry for such a novice question such as this, but with all the boxes of these Vietnam era shells still laying around, why is it so hard to figure out timelines for these shell heatstamps? Were they produced out of order? It seems it would be fairly straightforward to copy data from these boxes and the shells and create an approximate timeline. Even to figure out when a said heatstamp was sent to the government, would be helpful to some people.

Were all Parish Division of the Dana Corporation shells produced and shipped with the Vietnam Style crimp-on chinstraps? My brother has a Parish/Dana shell with the later clip-on Chinstraps. I'm assuming the straps have been changed, but want to make sure.

Sorry for such a novice question such as this, but with all the boxes of these Vietnam era shells still laying around, why is it so hard to figure out timelines for these shell heatstamps? Were they produced out of order? It seems it would be fairly straightforward to copy data from these boxes and the shells and create an approximate timeline. Even to figure out when a said heatstamp was sent to the government, would be helpful to some people.

We're gathering you are talking about this type strap here, the type that came out in the late-sh 70s. I call them Snap On's. Helmets being issued with what's called TA-50, along with all the other field gear and junk from an entity called, Clothing Issue Facility (CIF), a Quartermaster Corps origination.

post-34986-0-32515100-1502331525.jpg

From my own experience, (and I'm sure shared with some or most other members who where in at the time, late 70s early 80s) with the three times I was issued a steel pot in Army, once in Basic and AIT (Ft Benning Jan 80) once at my first duty station (Ft Hood May 80) and finally at my last duty station (Ft Wainwright Jul 81), was varied.

At Benning, was issued an old steel pot, with used but serveable the crimp on straps, most had these, very few had the new snap on type as I recall, if they did, not sure if the trainee put them on, or if it was done by the QM guys at the CIF, probably the latter.

At Hood, steel pot shell I happened to get was brand new unissued, no straps on it, the strap, which in this case was the new snap on strap was issued along with the shell in a sealed clear plastic bag, the guys will know what this is, it has stamped in Black the nomenclature/date of item on the bag, or in some instances a small-ish thin cardboard or thick-ish paper thing sealed inside the bag with the nomenclature/date stuff on it, YOU had to put straps on the loops yourself, and when you had to turn it in when leaving the post, these straps had to be on the shell still, if not, they where not present for whatever reason, you would of have to have to pay for them, (pay would be docked next time you got payed).

Then at Wainwright, was issued steel pot, an old one, this one had new unissued crimp strap on it, it was put on by the CIF people, You however had to adjust them for fit around the rear of shell. Incredibly as it seems none of us had the new snap on straps in my battalion (wouldn't know really on the other units on the post), only the old type. In July 1982 while training at the glaciers above Cordova Alaska, a NCO in my company had a horrific accident while cliff climbing, he sustained severe head injures, one culprit in his was the steel helmet, not having the new snap on chin cup strap, strapped or that could be strapped on under the chin to hold the helmet firmly on the head, it flew off exposing his head to blows as he fell.

After this, at this late date, finally an order, a battalion order proscribed the snap on straps for all personnel of the 4th Bn 9th Inf, in this case, the new straps were sent to the individual supply rooms of the companies to be issued out, we had put them on, and when we turned the helmets in to CIF, the straps had to be left on the shell, suppy toke the loss, (normally everything gotten from the company supply room had to be returned to them when out processing).

So in other words, I gather that because of the, for lack of a better word,"The Newness" of these snap on straps, that the Army, and the Marine Corps too I gather, just had these new straps issued to them separately as they became available, with the personnel adding them as they were issued. Perhaps the helmets made in like 1983-84 or whenever they stopped making them, (you know the last ones as the new Fritz helmets were coming out at that time) say had the snap on's added by the maker, but not sure on that.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it! I've noticed the earliest McCords all seem to have that same format [digit,digit,letter_digit]

Super cool. It also has slightly shorter chin straps than normal, too short to connect when wrapped around the back of the helmet. Is this a common occurance with these earlier helmets?

Super cool. It also has slightly shorter chin straps than normal, too short to connect when wrapped around the back of the helmet. Is this a common occurance with these earlier helmets?

yes it is. The early chinstraps often couldn't reach completely around and so often the straps were just left hanging. Not too long into the war they started making all the straps able to reach around.

yes it is. The early chinstraps often couldn't reach completely around and so often the straps were just left hanging. Not too long into the war they started making all the straps able to reach around.

Learn something new about these things every day! ?

• 1 year later...

I know it doesn't look like the number digit 1 but it could be a late war 1210D and the original die stamp was broken and later replaced with the letter I. Either the company was out of 1's or someone didn't check to see that it was an I and not a 1. This is my guess, but I have come accross dozens of helmets missing a digit mainly in the middle whether 3 or 4 digits. Ingersoll did this with their helmets using the number 1 or the letter I before the heat stamp. Not sure which was used first.

Who made the M1's with blue ink stamped heat numbers, either 4 numbers or I have one marked, -56-.. I also have an M1 with no markings that has an almost flat profile, rear seam, swivel and stainless rim. The brim and skirt are longer and a steeper angle than normal. The rim around the inside is only about half the width of others. A lot on ebay looks to have one of these shells.

Who made the M1's with blue ink stamped heat numbers, either 4 numbers or I have one marked, -56-.. I also have an M1 with no markings that has an almost flat profile, rear seam, swivel and stainless rim. The brim and skirt are longer and a steeper angle than normal. The rim around the inside is only about half the width of others. A lot on ebay looks to have one of these shells.

I have one with blueish ink stamped "18"

Any number pressed into the metal or just the ink stamp? 

Sorry I can't see any number pressed just the blue ink number.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

DeltaRecon226

Would this heat stamp mark this shell as having been manufactured by ingersoll? The shell itself came with Vietnam hardware and a 1972 dated P64 liner.

post-109253-0-08333400-1545659602_thumb.jpg

I have seen a few of these ink stamped helmets on ebay. I guess they could be Euroclones or R.J. Stampings M1's. I read on this forum where a number of new R.J.'s were not stamped into the metal.