Clip on USAF Chief Master Sergeant rank

vzemke

Someone went to a lot of work to make this, but does anyone know what it was for? It is a full size chevron.

Thanks,
Vance

post-781-0-06532400-1428533815.jpg

post-781-0-22496900-1428533821.jpg

DutchInfid3l

I would say it was used for "tacking" basically, when you're promoted your next stripe is "tacked on" by having each member of your squadron hit you on the shoulder, right on the new patch and "tacking on" your new stripe.

Here are some other examples, some use large stickers and others use velcro bands as the means of attachment.

post-3394-0-88283700-1428620184.jpg

firefighter

You will also see medal like this.I received mine like that, so they don't have to fumble around trying to pin it on.I left the clip on.

Whenever I got the clip on medals, they wanted them back after the ceremony. They were the presentation medals, and I was given a proper boxed one after. Stripes were always taped on for tacking. We had none of the fancy gizmos shown above. They wanted an excuse to really tag ya!

Randy

I would say it was used for "tacking" basically, when you're promoted your next stripe is "tacked on" by having each member of your squadron hit you on the shoulder, right on the new patch and "tacking on" your new stripe.

Here are some other examples, some use large stickers and others use velcro bands as the means of attachment.

The Chief on the right was my instructor in the NCO Academy years ago. Not happy with how we promote to E-8 and E-9 in the USAF. Since the McPeak era, it has become more important to be a careerist than a true leader. You can have a real boob volunteer and take college classes while being completely useless on the flight line while getting promoted in the process. Chiefs used to be Chiefs, not self-promoting E-9s.....

-Ski

The Chief on the right was my instructor in the NCO Academy years ago. Not happy with how we promote to E-8 and E-9 in the USAF. Since the McPeak era, it has become more important to be a careerist than a true leader. You can have a real boob volunteer and take college classes while being completely useless on the flight line while getting promoted in the process. Chiefs used to be Chiefs, not self-promoting E-9s.....

-Ski

Amen. It seems they are trying to have the NCOs be like the officers. It is now all about square filling instead of being an expert in your career field.

Randy