Armored Force winter combat uniform

craig_pickrall

General Apathy

post-344-1170626173.jpg

post-344-1170626152.jpg

Regarding post #4 showing the photograph of a soldier wearing an early patch pocket armored forces jacket, with a 2nd armored patch on the left chest, I have an identical one in my collection. The 2nd armored patch on my jacket is an embroidered on wool one with all black back finish to it, as can be seen in the attached close-up, also note that it is held in place by three dress-makers snaps. When the patch is un-snapped there is an un-faded triangle of original color of the jacket underneath.

• 3 months later...
post-344-1170626173.jpg

post-344-1170626152.jpg

Regarding post #4 showing the photograph of a soldier wearing an early patch pocket armored forces jacket, with a 2nd armored patch on the left chest, I have an identical one in my collection. The 2nd armored patch on my jacket is an embroidered on wool one with all black back finish to it, as can be seen in the attached close-up, also note that it is held in place by three dress-makers snaps. When the patch is un-snapped there is an un-faded triangle of original color of the jacket underneath.

NICE.....NICE.......NICE...... w00t.gif

• 8 years later...

Did the "Tanker" pattern 2 indeed come in two different colors?

Like the earlier ones brownish and the later kind more green(ish)?

Did the "Tanker" pattern 2 indeed come in two different colors?

Like the earlier ones brownish and the later kind more green(ish)?

I am leaning toward the color differences being purely incidental.

Below is an example of '41 and '42 "Tanker" Jackets shown together; note that the '41 looks more green than the later one at left...

post-3226-0-30796000-1457072980.jpg

Here is the '42 model shown above, alongside another '42 which has more of a green shade as well.

Note also the different colors in the cuffs. Interestingly, the Jacket on the right has Marine Corps stenciling on the shoulders and back.

post-3226-0-25712700-1457073207.jpg

Thanks, so the last one you showed has marine stenceling and had armored division paches on both shoulders. That's interresting two. As if it has been reissued, probably after replacing the cuffs.

I wish I knew the history of this Jacket; it is stenciled to the 2nd Amphibian Tractor Battalion.

post-3226-0-09972700-1457182401.jpg