Named 1st Division USMC Greens with Blood Patch Canal Soldier

Fritz

Well, not exactly new but kinda, forgot I had it in the pile LOL, so it's kind of a old/new thing, well I did some research on him, George E. Lukasavitz he was with Company F 1st Marine 1st Marine Div, looks like he was one of the original men to go into the canal in 42, from what I found on ancestry in the muster logs he was with them for some time and didn't really come back to the states till looks like late 44/45, bet he saw some heavy action, I can see where there was at one time a pretty good ribbon rack but it's lost to time, he was wounded as well but not sure where. Only tunic I have with a blood patch

Fritz

post-4127-0-18117500-1428521249.jpg

post-4127-0-01164700-1428521259.jpg

post-4127-0-38015700-1428521268.jpg

Please forgive my ignorance of USMC uniforms, but what is the significance of the blood patch? Thanks!

From what I understand, the bloodied patch was an unofficial individual backing that vets of Guadacanal did to let everyone know they were there.

Fritz

A very nice original blouse! Even better now that you've had a chance to research it and learn this Marine's story

Mike

firefighter

One day. This might be a silly question, but the 1st Marine Div is the only DIVISION with the bloody background? I know the 1st MAC's have them.

Awesome uniform. I checked and your guy was wounded on Peleliu on September 15, 1944.

Wow, that was on day 1, I also found him listed on LST607 , wonder if that's the ship that took him off the island,

Fritz

Kurt Barickman

I don't think that there is a definitive answer as to the significance of the "blooded" patch.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...
firefighter

I was actually wondering if there were other Divisions or Marine unit's that also wore the 'blooded' patch, besides the 1st Marine Div & 1st MAC?