When was the wear out date for the 1892 Undress Blouse?

Reading through the Army and Navy Journal, I have been trying to find the date that the officer's1892 pattern blouse became obsolete, being replaced by the 1895 pattern. What I have read is that the 1892 could be worn until it was no longer serviceable, however the Span-Am photos that I see which are of older officers who would have been commissioned prior to 1895 are all shown as wearing the 1895 pattern indicating that they replaced their 1892 pattern at some point.

As an aside, if the 1892 blouse was worn after 1895, could an officer wear the 1895 cap with it? Never saw a photo of it, but I've learned to never say never in this hobby!

Years ago I had a '92 undress coat which had been converted to a '95. The fancy frogging on the chest and other extraneous trim elsewhere had been carefully removed, but the tracks of the stitching remained. Mine was a named Ohio NG item -- not sure where it is now.

G

Gil, that's a good point. It would be an easy conversion and would be difficult to tell in a photo. The 1892 was unpopular, so I assume the conversion was made as quick as possible.

• 2 months later...