A Drive Through Gettysburg

mattsmilitary

Matt,

Your link is requesting to get permission to see the pictures. A lot of people are not going to want to do that. Just letting you know.

Regards, Mitch

Thanks for the photos. Always a sobering experience. When I was in Carlisle, PA at the

War College, whenever family and friends came I took them to Gettysburg. I bought the

CD to conduct the drive around tour. I really liked the musem, especially the display of

a section of wood fence from pickett's charge field which has multiple mini balls in it, so you can

get an idea of the volume of fire. Lots of Death in a very small place.

AZ Abn

When I went Gettysburg last year we came across one of the many battlefield museums. At first I just thought it would be as small civil war thing . It was run by a Korean war vet(bit grumpy) anyway he has the most amazing collection of mannequins and kit all very rare from us airborne to nazi generals, crazy!!!! He said he bought it all in the 60s when it was cheap. He has a whole warehouse out back as well full of the 'war surplus'.post-158178-0-59279900-1428918099.jpg

When I went Gettysburg last year we came across one of the many battlefield museums. At first I just thought it would be as small civil war thing . It was run by a Korean war vet(bit grumpy) anyway he has the most amazing collection of mannequins and kit all very rare from us airborne to nazi generals, crazy!!!! He said he bought it all in the 60s when it was cheap. He has a whole warehouse out back as well full of the 'war surplus'. image.jpg

Been to this place as well.He started to collect DIs in the 1940s as a kid.He has some amazing pieces in the basement museum.The moths were flying freely when I was there.Lots of head gear, uniforms and weapons pk us everything in between.He never offered ant tours of the property unseen but there was a lot in storage to be saw if he did.One of my good friends who has been a well known dealer use to buy from this man.The owner is well know around the area.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Gettysburg 20 times or so...anytime I was road dogging and in the area...I think it's a place all Americans should make the pilgrimage. ..my family starting going there in 1863...

Everyone has hit George's shop at one time or another. ..a dear crumgeon of a fellow.

manayunkman

I went to Gettysburg College & took Air Force ROTC.

Spent many hours with George waiting for people to bring things in.

Sold him a ton as well.

Wrote several papers on the battle and spent many dark nights alone on Culps Hill, Devil's Den and the Angle getting in the "mood" to write.

Dated a girl who owns a bar there and that was fun.

Gettysburg is part of my DNA.

• 2 weeks later...
daniel griffin

I've been to Gettysburg 20 times or so...anytime I was road dogging and in the area...I think it's a place all Americans should make the pilgrimage. ..my family starting going there in 1863...

Everyone has hit George's shop at one time or another. ..a dear crumgeon of a fellow.

Hey Robert maybe our kin-folk met at Gettysburg in 63

vermont1.jpg

tarbridge

So true Danny...Hey maybe you have seen my GG-Uncles leg...I think he must have lost it at the beach...something about the high water or tide mark?

My favorite monument at Gettsburg.Not often seen as its on a littl side loop after leaving Devils Den

The Irish Brigade

post-342-0-63259700-1430621049.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been here twice ( I am a West Coaster ) and once we had paid a guide the other was with one of those tapes. I am sure some guides might be better than others--but the one we had was fabulous and if I was to give any advice--If you have the time and a few bucks pay a guide--I doubt you will regret it.