Surprise Find at TMCA Show - Signed Japanese Flag

pathfinder505

pathfinder505

The TMCA show was in Franklin, TN this weekend. I didnt find a lot of the items that I normally collect. However, I do like signed flags that were captured. I have several GI's signed Nazi flags but never had a Japanese one until now. This flag was from the 672nd Amphibious Tractor Battalion. I normally think of Amtracs being with the Marines and thought this was a Marine flag until I saw the vet's serial numer was Army. So I decided to buy it and reasearch it. At first I thought it was 673rd and couldn't find anything. I looked again and it was actually 672. When I did a search I found there were 54 Amtrac's used on the raid to rescue prisoners at Los Banos. They were attached to the 11th Airborne for the raid. The commanding officer is mentioned in several books on the raid. He was a Lt. Col. who had to be subordinate to a Major for the raid. I copied the portion where he signed the flag.

I am still researching the people on the flag.

post-197-0-54455400-1428285463.jpg

post-197-0-55058100-1428285476.jpg

post-197-0-15727000-1428285487.jpg

USCapturephotos

Awesome find! I have seen a few signed Japanese flags but not many. This one has great history too!

Paul

pathfinder505

Thanks for all the comments. The guy I bought this from apparently got it at an estate sale and then stored it for about 20 yrs and just got it out of a trunk and brought to the show.

Very nice find. A friend of mine was in the 672nd. He passed away January of last year. I would collect information on the unit for him. They published a weekly paper during the war. I have copies of most of them. I will check and see if the flag is mentioed. There is also a DVD of the Vets going back and talking about the raid to liberate the prisoners that has a lot of the period film in it.

Jack Clay

My friend's name was Charles Bivens from Monroe, NC.

Seems the army was not sure what the 672nd would be. They went to Camp Hood for Tank Destroyer training then to Fort Ord, CA and got the AMTRAC training.

That is awesome!!!!...i think critical past has a nice film clip of these amtracs in action carrying the rescued prisoners!....mike

pathfinder505

My friend's name was Charles Bivens from Monroe, NC.

Seems the army was not sure what the 672nd would be. They went to Camp Hood for Tank Destroyer training then to Fort Ord, CA and got the AMTRAC training.

Jack

Your friend did not sign the flag

• 2 months later...

There are more signed German flags then Japanese ones around so to see a nice Japanese signed flag is refreshing. Thanks!

• 1 month later...