Tank Distroyer HQ uniform Help

medalcollector

medalcollector

Hello all,

I came across a tank destroyer uniform named to a John Brown a few months ago. The uniform did not have any collar pins. After doing a bit of research found out that he was in 808th TD battallion HQ company.

I'm in the process of finding a pair of collar badges for the uniform. I don't have any pictures of him in a uniform to know. Typically HQ badges are worn by the division HQ personnel. In a situation like this, would he have worn HQ collar badge or a TD collar badge on his uniform?

Also, does someone have TD records so I can get his army service number?

Thanks in advance for your help.

medalcollector

Figured I'll ask another question.

Based on the person, TD personnel have worn half track collar disk, infantry collar disk and collar disks that has TD. I found a collar disk on ebay with crosses rifles and AT below them, which, I assume, anti tank. What is the difference between wearing AT vs TD?

Also, would there be an instance where TD personnel wearing engineer collar disks?

Thanks again

The crossed rifles with AT below will be for a soldier in the Anti Tank Company of an Infantry Regiment, these unit used towed Anti Tank guns, I also believe these discs would be Pre War or Early War. These INF AT Companies, while being Anti Tank were not classified as Tank Destroyer or part of the Tank Destroyer Forces even though several Tank Destroyer Battalions used towed guns too.

Actually 808th used to tow 3" AT guns too.

Right you are, switched to the M36 Jacksons in February 1945, however the differences still stand, Inf AT Companies were not the same as bonafide Tank Destroyer Battalions that used towed guns, with the best of my knowledge wear only the TD Force disc.

Now to go even more into the depths of confusion. Since he was in HQ Company he might of been of a different branch all together IE Signal Corps or Quartermaster Corps or Ordnance Corps.

Some more info. I forgot about the pre war early war Infantry Anti Tank Battalions.

A few Tank Destroyer battalions were originally designated "Infantry Anti-Tank Battalions" in 1940 and 1941 and became TD Battalions in 1942. These were the 801st, 802nd, 803rd, 804th, 805th, 893rd, 894th and 899th Tank Destroyer Battalions. The first five were of National Guard Anti Tank units that were formed in 1941, they came from the 101st Inf AT Bn New York NG, 102nd Inf AT Bn New York NG, 103rd Inf AT Bn Washington State NG, 104th Inf At Bn New Mexico NG, 105th Inf AT Bn Pennsylvania NG, the last three were Regular Army units formed in 1940, the 93rd, 94th and 95th Inf AT Bn's. The Infantry Crossed Rifles w/AT were worn be these troops too.

At least one report here on the forum on a IKE or a 4 pocket with TD patch with an Inf AT disc was seen, but this would be rare, 1: one must go under the assumption that the guy was an original member of one of these Inf AT Bn's before they were converted and redesignated as TD and kept his old discs, or 2: The soldier just found or acquired this AT Inf disc and incorrectly wore them.

Unless the TD 4 pocket coat or IKE with a Inf AT disc came directly from the vet, we look to the obvious rather than the obscure, that the TD Half Track disc would be the one worn.

medalcollector

Right you are, switched to the M36 Jacksons in February 1945, however the differences still stand, Inf AT Companies were not the same as bonafide Tank Destroyer Battalions that used towed guns, with the best of my knowledge wear only the TD Force disc.

Now to go even more into the depths of confusion. Since he was in HQ Company he might of been of a different branch all together IE Signal Corps or Quartermaster Corps or Ordnance Corps.

Thank you very much for all the great info. How can I confirm what his MOS would have been?

Thanks

carbinephalen

Request his personnel file from NARA is the only sure-fire way. I will check ancestry tonight to see if he made it on to a debarkation roster, sometimes those list their MOS's