1950's army rebreather unit emerson lambertsen t4 experimental

deadpeoplesjunk

deadpeoplesjunk

Not exactly sure where to post this. I heard these were floating around in the area for a hefty sum but didn't realize what it was till I saw it. I traded an awesome group for it but where the heck will I ever see another.I wasn't sure if it was one of lambertsens units till I saw the face mask, and even then I had to research it. I can't believe I missed the markings on the case!!! [L.A.R.U.]! LOL. maybe one of the moderators can figure where to move this. I can think of 5 catagories....or none! I build shallow water dive helmets and I just had to have this. maybe some of you guys have or know about these and can post some info, anything will be appreciated. I have most of the info that has been posted on the net. This is one of 2 units I have acquired.I believe this was one of the test units from around 1952 to 1954. It says laru 2 but may be a unit called a flatus not sure.

post-4108-0-04538300-1428281150.jpg

deadpeoplesjunk

I was always told the ''t'' designation meant ''test'' and was usually used before an item was adopted [if it ever was] then was given an ''m'' or other designation when adopted. Can anyone confirm that or am I wrong? I was about 16 when I was told that.

Patchcollector

Now that is interesting.I'm no expert with this stuff by any means but I do know that this early dive stuff is very sought after by those that collect it.Cool find!

deadpeoplesjunk

Lambertsen is an interesting guy to read about. He tried to join the navy in ww2 but was turned down for hay fever! lol the oss gave him an army commission and he developed rebreathers for them and ran training for them. He developed stuff through the 50's and beyond. from the papers I got with these, it seems there were 4 units made in this batch.Seems to be more interest in the early scuba gear collectors then the military collectors. One more note, Lambertsen coined the term ''SCUBA'' it originally referred to rebreathers [his] and never was intended to mean open circuit which seems to be the definition now.

deadpeoplesjunk

Not off course at all, neat, never knew a thing about that! Thanks for the link!I think that one was actually contracted at 50 bucks for the idea that was on the napkin, the rest of it was cost over runs! lol [you know, minor thing like development, testing etc lol]

Patchcollector

I was just taking the "Google search" crash course on Lambertsen.Nicknamed"Dr.Scuba"(love it :) ),he died a few years back at 93.Lot's of cool photos online.This guy was a genius.His early models were made using WW1 gas masks and bicycle tire pumps. :lol:

I found part of a video that mentions his work:

http://bcove.me/klg6c5dv

I was trying to find a pic online showing your model.When you get time,can you get your rig out,put it together,and maybe even put it on so as to better see how it was supposed to look worn?

deadpeoplesjunk

''The Dive Site'' has a video of an interview with the son of the victor talking machine co who did underwater cinematography standing with a unit that looks just like mine and he says it was procured from Lambertsen. I think the video is called ''the original scuba'' Its not on youtube so I can't figure out how to link it. I believe they were all military or surplus models, I don't believe he made any commercial models

deadpeoplesjunk

I got to get it set up this week, I'll post better photos then.the first photo shows 2 different weight belts, they are short and both different. one was found with each unit. They don't appear to go around the waist, I think they may somehow hook up to the unit. Also included are a bunch of pieces of flat lead that goes in some of the pouches!

deadpeoplesjunk

I just checked your other link! that's the one I wanted to post! lol. That's basically the same unit.

deadpeoplesjunk

I gotta lot of work ahead of me. Apparently the University of Pa has an index of all his papers in their collection! there seems to be a lot of stuff regarding these units. Any UP alums out there? [hint hint lol]

deadpeoplesjunk

great video! I never thought that maybe Fenemore might be in the service! wow.Thanks for posting it.