Air Base in PA: Willow Grove

I passed an air force base in PA and stopped in. Its a whole museum! I will find the name and add some pics later.

Look forward to them!

The base is Willow Grove Naval Air Station in Willow, PA. The actual base has been decommissioned, but the museum is still there and there are some abandoned planes on the tarmac still. Its really neat and keeps growing. Hope some of you stop by if possible!

post-157402-0-13157400-1428183211.jpg

post-157402-0-33636600-1428183218.jpg

post-157402-0-60052600-1428183365.jpeg

post-157402-0-35536900-1428183378.jpeg

post-157402-0-20431100-1428183393.jpeg

No, but I have been going to WWII Weekend for 7 or 8 years, I have a topic about it, you should check it out!

ViewfinderGyrene

Ah yes, Willow Grove. Have heard of it, but not made the journey lol....I had NO CLUE they had a 262! :o

I thought the ME 262 was relocated to Florida....when I was a kid these aircraft used to be outside, exposed to the elements including several WWII German and Japanese aircraft. Because my uncle was assigned there we were able to crawl on them in the mid 1960's.

You are correct. ...thr 262 is gone. Has been for a couple years now. Funny story w it....basically Navy just moved it down to Florida even after the DVHAA made the small indoor museum to house it (Navy told them they wanted it indoors if they restored it). I used to go there as a kid w my dad....I have pics of me standing in front of the 262 and Arado floatplane. Today they have expanded a little bit gaining a couple aircraft...inside is a Pitcarin mail plane and a P-80 I believe. W the base shut down and bwing turned into housing malls and whatnot...they are slated to gain some room and possibly expand their indoor facilities.

This is my neck of the woods. I stare at UH-1 every time I drive by....plotting its escape to by backyard : )

I'll help you with the Huey if you help me with the A-10 :D

You have yourself a deal there, sir! I have an M35a2 for the tow home! Now, to procure a trailer..... ?

• 3 weeks later...

My Uncle was stationed at Willow grove NAS in the fifties. Sixty plus years later I still remember visting with him and seeing all the WW II
aircraft they had on display.

USCapturephotos

I was super bummed when the 262 left. It was a rare trainer two seat model. A lot of veterans volunteer there. I remember when they still had several 8th AF guys volunteering. It was great to chat with them.

Paul

USCapturephotos

Didn't they have a Japanese aircraft sitting outside in the elements there back in the 1970's and 80's? I was a little kid but thought I remembered seeing one there.

Paul

• 4 months later...

This is how the museum looked in 1967 when we visited the base. As pointed out above the planes were all open to the elements and you could crawl on them and sit in several that had open cockpits. I believe this plane removed from the Prinz Eugen is now on loan in Germany.

trib.jpeg