Netherlands Marines ebay find

Tom Pearcy

Was not what I thought it was at first, won this on ebay and it turned out to be even better after I did a little research. A little bit od Marine history I never knew. You learn something new every day.

post-244-0-06105000-1428164131.jpg

This US-trained unit of the RNMC was known as the 'Marbrig' (Mariniersbrigade). It was completely trained and outfitted by the USMC and saw a lot of action in the Netherlands East-Indies war of indepencence. The Marbrig was disbanded in 1950 and its members were either demobbed or transferred back into the RNMC.

A friend's father served in the Marbrig's artillery unit, and I have a few original copies of the unit history book. The photo's from that book are published here http://www.semarang.nl/album-mariniers/ .

I have more information about this unit, just ask if you want to know more. I also posted about the Royal Netherlands Military Flying School (RNMFS) at Jackson, Miss. on the forum.

• 1 year later...

Good find,

I quess they made them near the camp sites at tailor shops from the end of 1944 till 1945

Here are mine.Altough the tan ones are the same there are 3 different sewing patterns to detect.

Anyway its a interesting piece of insignia and not often to be found and only used from the raising of the marbrig till 1950 then it turned into the Korps Mariniers

Regards

post-158216-0-26364000-1463569898.jpg

Good find,

I quess they made them near the camp sites at tailor shops from the end of 1944 till 1945

Here are mine.Altough the tan ones are the same there are 3 different sewing patterns to detect.

Anyway its a interesting piece of insignia and not often to be found and only used from the raising of the marbrig till 1950 then it turned into the Korps Mariniers

Regards

The Marbrig didn't turn into the RNMC, it was part of the RNMC.

I was mentioning the title on the sleeve insignia (Netherlands Marines vs Korps marines)

But correct me if i,m wrong

No you are correct about that, the sleeve insignia 'Korps Mariniers' is still worn on the left shoulder of the BDU. I thought you meant the unit itself.

• 4 weeks later...