Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

navycollector

navycollector

Make sure you check out the diorama of the battlefield. It is probably about 25 ft long and 10 ft. wide. They have a show that talks about the battle and parts of the diorama light up. It is on steinwehr ave. I think you may have to pay a little to get in, but it's certainly worth it!

Here is the address of the store: 241 Steinwehr Ave, Gettysburg, PA 17325

And here it is in google streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.820505,-77.23373,3a,75y,357.44h,88.05t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sfYBWcBqHErVHVOeHmkUknw!2e0

Enjoy your trip!

P.S. If you go down Queen street there is a small militaria store called the Homefront General Store.

Thanks for the info about this place. I did some research and found the website for it. It looks like they have 4 attractions, the diorama, ghost lab, haunted walking tour, and Lincoln train museaum. The price is listed at $7 each but $1 for AAA members and there are discounted rates if you purchase for multiple attractions. I'll definately have to check this place out.

navycollector

Recommend you view on Youtube the videos of the battlefield and sights to get an overall

idea of what is on site. Then when you are boots on ground, on site, you can focus

in on what you really want to see. The museum has always been of interest to me.

AZ Abn

I had watched a couple shows about Gettysburg and the Civil War but never thought to look on youtube to see some of the places but that make sense. I'll have to search around and see what I can find.

navycollector

If you are going to be in Gettysburg overnight... there is a series of books called Ghosts of Gettysburg available on Amazon. My brother enjoyed them... there are also haunted Gettysburg walking tours. Not everyone's taste, but still interesting.

If goes as planned I'll have enough time to be there overnight and possible a couple days. The place I commented on in my previous post had an attraction that mentioned some kind of haunted walking tour. I'll have to check that out, it looks interesting. I just searched for Ghosts of Gettysburg on Amazon and a got a ton of results, I think there were 20 pages of books! I have some time now before going so will check into these. Did your brother read all of the books in the series? Do you know if he had any favorites in the series in case I don't have time to read them all?

navycollector

Having lived in Gettysburg for a number of years in the 1990's and early 2000's, I would suggest parking and walking the town. There are a ton of shops to browse (many bad, but some are great), and by walking you are sure to find the gems. The Horse Soldier on Steiwehr Avenue is basically a museum for sale and not to be missed.

i just made a note of this place in my notebook here of places I want make sure and check out. Thanks for the tip. I was also planning on walking around town, I hope the weather cooperates with that plan.

navycollector

Forget the antique/military/etc shops and just go to the Lincoln Diner!! (If it is still there)

We have been going to Gettysburg since our girls were 6 weeks old and they still love it(just turning 23 now). Our favorite time is at Christmas, staying at the Gettysburg Inn overlooking the Square's Christmas Tree. We were greeted with lots of snow one morning and had the battlefields all to ourselves as we kept one step ahead of the park rangers closing the roads.

There are several good antique shops in all 4 directions from the square.

Summer? Just get your head right and ignore the tour bus people. There are plenty of areas that allow you to get away from the crowds. Get up very early(6;00 am) and go to the battlefields. That's the best time to be by yourself and put your mind into what these men went through. Every American should HAVE to visit Gettysburg!

Tons of other shops in surrounding small towns.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice, I was looking into the Gettysburg Inn for staying overnight. How far was the Lincoln Diner from there? What did you like about it, good food, good atmosphere? I'll absolutely get up early to beat the crowds if that helps, I'd much rather look things over when calm and few people around than fighting the crowds and in the process missing most of the details. Thanks again.

If goes as planned I'll have enough time to be there overnight and possible a couple days. The place I commented on in my previous post had an attraction that mentioned some kind of haunted walking tour. I'll have to check that out, it looks interesting. I just searched for Ghosts of Gettysburg on Amazon and a got a ton of results, I think there were 20 pages of books! I have some time now before going so will check into these. Did your brother read all of the books in the series? Do you know if he had any favorites in the series in case I don't have time to read them all?

I started him off with this series:

http://www.amazon.com/Ghosts-Gettysburg-Spirits-Apparitions-Battlefield/dp/0939631415/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429327436&sr=1-1&keywords=ghosts+of+gettysburg

I think there are seven volumes in this series, but they are inexpensive and light reading.

By the way he added this note when I told him about this thread...

"I noticed at the civil war museum in Harrisburg 1 big exhibit was all about Gettysburg and told the events very well. Also one window faces the direction that the Confederates advanced towards Harrisburg within 5 miles of the museum before retreating towards Gettysburg."

navycollector

I'll second that! Lincoln's Diner for breakfast, Tony's Pizza (or maybe Tommy's) for supper.

Excellent - the Lincoln Diner for breakfast it is then, can't go wrong with the same advice on a place from multiple people. Is it necessary to make reservations for any of these places? I'm guesing not for breakfast but maybe if going there for dinner?

navycollector

Farnsworth Inn. It's a B&B, but they have a bar and restaurant, a bit pricey but well worth it. All the staff dresses in period costumes, and it's historical. The attic window was a sniper perch and has shotholes around it, I believe a woman was accidentally shot in the back by a stray round during the battle while baking. It's supposed to be one of the most haunted houses in America. Used to eat there almost every Thursday night in the summer after my poolee functions, one of the guys was an amateur ghost hunter and would pay the tab if we walked the woods with him during the night afterwards chasing orbs and ghosts. They do ghost walks a couple of times a week, but we always ventured out on our own. Directly next door is (or at least was) a pretty decent militaria shop, but finding it open is like finding a unicorn.

This looks like a great place, I think I've said it before but I wish I had more time there to see all of this. I found a website for this place http://www.farnsworthhouseinn.com and it has alot of information and looks really interesting. Is it possible to eat at the restaurant and bar without staying there?

navycollector

Very good militaria shop and museum just outside Gettysburg on Baltimore pike,run by a Korean war vet , he has the most amazing collection of uniforms all ww2,very rare items.

Eddy.502 do you remember the name of this shop and museum? Is it mostly all WW2 items in the museum?

navycollector

The Horse Soldier is expensive but it really is an awesome place. They use to just sell Civil War and earlier items but in recent years they have branched out and starting dealing in WWI and WWII.

http://www.horsesoldier.com/

I just checked into the website, wow this place looks great. I was just looking through the inventory listing and there are some really intersting things for sale there. If anybody visits the site, the Inventory section seems to be higher priced items (there is a uniform for $65K plus other higher priced rarer items). The Whats New section seems to have items probably less rare but still interesting and cheaper prices. Thanks for the tip on this place.

navycollector

My family and I have been going there about twice a year for the last 10 years or so. We just love the atmosphere and it's a great relaxing trip for us. We stay always at a WWII themed B&B called Sentimental Journey. Wonderful owners. It's about 5 houses down from the Farnsworth House. BTW, if you look at the Farnsworth house main side brick wall, apparently the bullet markings are original and you can see them. Downtown has really changed the last few years.....a lot of antique shops are gone, including several that I used to really like. The one mentioned here is still there, and he's got a decent amount of militaria in the cases, along with those toy soldiers in the back! The Gettysburg Pub in the town circle is always a favorite to eat at, and Applachian Brew Pub is good too, but they moved as they are out on route 30 near the interchange from route 15. Not far, but not in town. Another good place is the Dobbin House Spring Tavern for lunch, as you eat in the basement with a really cool atmosphere.

Thanks for the great info, I added all of these places to my list of places I want to stop in or see while there. It always helps so much having some idea about places instead of going around aimlessly especially with so much there. I think I was looking into the Gettysburgh Inn as a place to stay but that isn't set in stone yet. These other places recommended, the Farnsworth house and Sentimental Journey sound good too. If not this time maybe I can check into these ones if I get back there sometime. Is the Gettysburg Pub in walking distance from the Gettysburg Inn? How about the other place, the Appilcation Brew Pub, is that somewhere that you'd have to drive to if staying in town?

navycollector

I started him off with this series:

http://www.amazon.com/Ghosts-Gettysburg-Spirits-Apparitions-Battlefield/dp/0939631415/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429327436&sr=1-1&keywords=ghosts+of+gettysburg

I think there are seven volumes in this series, but they are inexpensive and light reading.

By the way he added this note when I told him about this thread...

"I noticed at the civil war museum in Harrisburg 1 big exhibit was all about Gettysburg and told the events very well. Also one window faces the direction that the Confederates advanced towards Harrisburg within 5 miles of the museum before retreating towards Gettysburg."

Thanks for all the good info and tell your brother thanks for his insight on this too. I'm going to order this book this weekend. It doesn't look like any of the sellers are offering the prime shipping but should get it within a week or so I'm guessing. I guess with the trip pushed back it will give me more time to research and I'm looking forward to reading these books before too, thanks again.

Also, I'm trying to work in a stop at the Civil War museum in Harrisburg, I hope I have enough time for that.

This looks like a great place, I think I've said it before but I wish I had more time there to see all of this. I found a website for this place http://www.farnsworthhouseinn.com and it has alot of information and looks really interesting. Is it possible to eat at the restaurant and bar without staying there?

Absolutely, they do dinner as a standard restaurant, I think breakfast might just be for guests.

I've eaten in all 4 dining areas pictured here... http://www.farnsworthhouseinn.com/dining---spirits.html

The Horse Soldier on Steiwehr Avenue is basically a museum for sale and not to be missed.

Agreed. This is the only military sales place I've ever seen with a gatling gun and an original 6-pounder for sale inside. They also had a lot of WW1 and WW2 stuff when I used to hit the place in the late 90s.

I used to go to Gettysburg at least once a month when I was stationed in Maryland, loved hitting all the antique stores in the area.

I took my wife and two teenage daughters in July 13.... The following week the place was packed for the 150th. We did an early morning horseback tour. It was well worth the time and money. We stayed at the 1797 Hotel in the heart of town. The place is awe inspiring. Be sure to see the Cyclorama at the Museum. This is nice to do during the heat of the day... (For full disclosure, we did stop at Hershey Park on the way back home, but that isn't what they will remember.)