Marsden Matting question... what did it look like new?

willysmb44

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hello Lee, my apologies that I have not helped or contributed to your desire to know what PSP plate looked like in it's original form straight from the factory, and apologies again that this post will be no further help.

But there has been a great deal of interest in your topic, and as there has been that interest I would just like to show this one section of plate that I found here in Normandy, I have no idea if this is experimental plate, or a first pattern and hope that it interests members to see it, as I have never seen any more pieces of it.

Lewis.

i believe the no hole version was made to withstand heavier loads and also i think it is a later version instead of later

dont remember where i found this one but its also in Normandy

post-125364-0-45034200-1441476349.jpg

you can still buy this style in bulk

http://www.worldplantsales.com/index.php?option=com_joodb&view=article&joobase=10&id=11669&Itemid=147

General Apathy

i believe the no hole version was made to withstand heavier loads and also i think it is a later version instead of later

dont remember where i found this one but its also in Normandy

attachicon.gif DSCN1118.jpg

you can still buy this style in bulk

http://www.worldplantsales.com/index.php?option=com_joodb&view=article&joobase=10&id=11669&Itemid=147

Hi Jake, thanks for adding the interesting photo, pity the location is unknown I would have liked to have seen that, and is it British or American sectors. The reason I say that, is the link you added is actually a British company, which bids the question is it a British made sheet, I see they only have 250 in stock and it looks old stock as well.

Thanks again, pleased you took time to make a post on it. ^_^

Lewis.

Hi Jake, thanks for adding the interesting photo, pity the location is unknown I would have liked to have seen that, and is it British or American sectors. The reason I say that, is the link you added is actually a British company, which bids the question is it a British made sheet, I see they only have 250 in stock and it looks old stock as well.

Thanks again, pleased you took time to make a post on it. ^_^

Lewis.

Im going completely by assumption on where it is originally from but believe it is american that was left in England or something similar I have read that they made a no hole version for heavier loads such as bombers, but I believe they started having issues with heat when new jets came around especially with vertical take off... i don't know if this is the no hole version they spoke of

General Apathy

Wow, that is really interesting. It doesn't help with my quest, but I agree it is a very interesting item, one I'd never even heard of before just now. :blink:

Hi Lee, thanks for starting this topic I admit it has widened out from your initial request , and pleased to see that WW2Jake has found more of it in the same pattern that I added, so for me a sub topic who, why, where was this pattern made.

I think there will be many members wanting to know the same answers that you are looking for judging by the interest shown in this thread.

Lewis.

General Apathy

Im going completely by assumption on where it is originally from but believe it is american that was left in England or something similar I have read that they made a no hole version for heavier loads such as bombers, but I believe they started having issues with heat when new jets came around especially with vertical take off... i don't know if this is the no hole version they spoke of

Hi Jake, thanks for adding more, so for me at least the quest goes on . . . . . . ^_^

Lewis.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an answer from the SEABEE museum in Port Hueneme on the Marsden Matting:

"The Marston Matting is made out of steel and has a gray
green color. I have attached a sample that we have on display at the museum so
that you can see the exact color."

I followed up to see if the piece they have is from WWII and they said yes it is.

I have the picture but I have to downsize it to get it to fit. The piece of matting looks pristine.

Charlie

Got an answer from the SEABEE museum in Port Hueneme on the Marsden Matting:

"The Marston Matting is made out of steel and has a gray

green color. I have attached a sample that we have on display at the museum so

that you can see the exact color."

I followed up to see if the piece they have is from WWII and they said yes it is.

I have the picture but I have to downsize it to get it to fit. The piece of matting looks pristine.

Charlie

but it still isnt period proof

but it still isnt period proof

I'm glad you wrote that because I didn't want to shoot down every attempt people made to answer my question.

That said, the color does jibe with the period photos you posted, Jake.

I'll be painting my 1:48 brass sheets of it soon enough, will be doing so in a gun metal grey color with rust accents as those period shots supported at least some of it had that color during WW2.

All that said, I hope someday, someone comes up with actual factory specs for the coatings...

I'm glad you wrote that because I didn't want to shoot down every attempt people made to answer my question.

That said, the color does jibe with the period photos you posted, Jake.

I'll be painting my 1:48 brass sheets of it soon enough, will be doing so in a gun metal grey color with rust accents as those period shots supported at least some of it had that color during WW2.

All that said, I hope someday, someone comes up with actual factory specs for the coatings...

i may have found a contact with original specifications. ill post with updates