Marsden Matting question... what did it look like new?

willysmb44

I'm wondering what the original color was of sections of Marsden Matting or pierced (or perforated) steel planking (PSP) in WW2.

I'm building a model RR layout that takes place in 1943 and I want to throw some sections of the stuff into the back of a truck. They're etched brass and it got me wondering what color they were when they were new, before they turned to a rust color...

Marsden_matting_Alexai_Point_Attu_Island

So they were black originally? Good to know.

What's the story on the one on the left in your photo, looks like it was chromed almost.

I believe (don't quote me on this) that the ones the right were the most common but both were used (or so I'm told) but one side is stained and oiled. And the other is hot dip galvanized.

RustyCanteen

I used to walk on it a couple of times a month, but you know, I want to say it looked greenish to me. But it was old WWII stuff and maybe the outdoors/use took it's toll on the color.

Black seems an appropriate color though.

I've always been curious when you see a design like lines on a runway made of the stuff if it was from using both kinds or if it was painted though. Possibly both depending on what they had on hand?

post-125364-0-73646900-1427941188.jpeg

RustyCanteen

As an old Combat Engineer we slung a few of these around and I remember only OD panels.

Good to know I'm not the only one to remember them as OD.

That's why I was specific on the question on what it looked like when new, in the WW2 era, as I wondered if maybe a lot of it was repainted for use later on, or newer material made post-1945.

Now I'm back to where I was, wondering what color the stuff came out of the factory as, pre-VJ day...

5thwingmarty

Anyone have a photo of the C-46 on display in the AF Museum in Dayton? It is displayed with the side door open and "men" are unloading matting from it. If you google "c-46 museum Dayton photos" you will get several pictures of it and it looks kind of OD. I have seen a lot of B&W pics of planes parked on PSP and it never looks to be dark like it was black.

If you are a Fold3 member there are some photos there of PSP being laid down, and I think some photos where it has been rolled up to make runway repairs.

I have a small piece of PSP in my office and the back is all surface rust and the front looks to have been painted silver but is now mostly surface rust.

Thanks, but I can't trust something that had to have been repainted at some point. besides, it looks rusted to me anyway:

4045666417_7abb99f4bf_z.jpg?zz=1

I'm hoping there might be color photos somewhere from WW2 showing new matting being laid or stacked up. Coming out of the factory would be best, of course but I doubt I'd get that lucky.

While doing an internet search, I was surprised to find there is a company selling WW2-made matting for current use: http://www.calumetindustries.com/?page_id=176

I know this stuff is supposed to be everywhere, but I've never seen a piece of this stuff for sale at any militaria show I've ever been at...

RustyCanteen

Check the WWII in color book, I am pretty sure it has a couple shots of it. I have not the slightest idea where mine is to check for a page number.

That said, I am 99% certain it was OD painted at the factory during WWII. I know it makes more sense for it to be black, but it wasn't exactly meant to show up from high altitude given the war going on.

Check the WWII in color book, I am pretty sure it has a couple shots of it. I have not the slightest idea where mine is to check for a page number.

I got rid of my copy several years ago.

A prolonged internet search didn't turn up any photos online showing new sections in photos taken in WW2

I guess I had always thought it was sort of galvanized or phosphated lightly etc... or maybe was even just raw steel.

I am curious now too as to what it looked like originally. OD green would make sense for camo purposes.

-Brian

RustyCanteen

I got rid of my copy several years ago.

A prolonged internet search didn't turn up any photos online showing new sections in photos taken in WW2

I just looked at every color photo in the books I can lay my hands on, and I see OD in all of them. But they are not great photos, and certainly not the 'Aha!' level of detail we would like.

If I'm one of you guys in, it was 66 to 91...George

yes you would be one lol,but that does fit in with what i thought... but it's still not saying im correct.just a theory