• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New USMC Helmet opinions on shell pls

After some back and forth negotiations I bought his helmet off of eBay. It has a first pattern USMC cover with post war EGA stamp. Shell is FS but with odd brownish paint. Could anyone tell me if they have seen this type of paint on a helmet before and would it have been applied during WWII or post war? I will post more pics when the helmet arrives but want to know if I made a mistake or not.

Thanks

Craig

post-12393-0-14755900-1427906152.jpg

post-12393-0-57496200-1427906669.jpg

post-12393-0-18027300-1427906684.jpg

post-12393-0-50254400-1427906704.jpg

post-12393-0-92008200-1427906716.jpg

Thank you to all that have served our country and to your families that have sacrificed without your presence at home. Thank you to all that have given their lives for my freedom and to their families that suffer. May God bless you!

Thanks for your thoughts. I was hoping for sombody to have an example but I have never seen this color on an M1 myself. I will post better pictures after I have it but I hope it wasn't spray painted by a civilian later in its life.

Thank you to all that have served our country and to your families that have sacrificed without your presence at home. Thank you to all that have given their lives for my freedom and to their families that suffer. May God bless you!

While I have no idea when that paint was applied to the steel shell, that reddish brown paint was certainly available in some quantity in the pacific theatre. Its seen as part of the camouflage on alot of USMC armor, Sherman's, DUKWs, and LVTs towards the end of the war (especially Iwo Jima). That being said I've never seen it on a WW2 helmet.

While I have no idea when that paint was applied to the steel shell, that reddish brown paint was certainly available in some quantity in the pacific theatre. Its seen as part of the camouflage on alot of USMC armor, Sherman's, DUKWs, and LVTs towards the end of the war (especially Iwo Jima). That being said I've never seen it on a WW2 helmet.

Thanks for the insight and the pics. I'm looking forward to examining the paint.

Is that red-brown or copper paint?

During WWII the Navy experimented with helmets for gunnersmates that were coated in a copper based paint. It was thought the copper paint would prevent accidental sparking which could set off the powder bags the gunners worked with. Of course in hindsight it would never work since the paint quickly wore back down to the standard lead paint. That led the BuShips designers to adopt an M1 helmet made completely of copper. The solid copper helmets are quite common, but highly prized by people because they look nifty when polished. Of course in their omnipotent wisdom, BuShips turned the project over to BuOrd late in 1944 and BuOrd decided a copper helmet (polished or not) was not suitable for sea duty and ordered them to be painted olive drab! So most people pass up the copper MKIV Advanced Protective Refraction Interior Loading Fireproof Ordnance Officer Loading Shipboard, or A.P.R.I.L. F.O.O.L.S. helmets. I know, a day late and a dollar short; sorry. Everything above is a made-up joke.

But seriously, it is a nice looking helmet. I have seen odd brown painted helmets in 1950s photos too, but as I recall they were more of a solid brown, and I have no idea what they were for.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks RustyCanteen for your comments.

It's hard to tell the color from the pictures. To me it looked more orange but when I asked the seller he thought it was more brown. I will definitely post better pictures when it arrives and would appreciate any thoughts you have when I do.

Rusty

Sorry forgot to acknowledge your April fools joke ?. But after brushing my teeth with vinegar on my toothbrush (the joke of my 16 yo) I'm done with April Fools.

It was a good story though.

The helmet came in the mail yesterday and it's a Salty Dog (just the way I like them). IMHO this helmet has seen at least two wars. From the rust stains on the cover and the placement of the chin strap slits, it appears to have been worn with the beach side out and the name of the Marine "Mike" stamped in a three places across the front. When the EGA was added it was worn facing the rear of the helmet. The inside of the shell looks like it has seen time in the salty pacific. There are some markings inside but because of the rust I cannot make it out yet. I may try and remove some of the rust at some point. The camo paint looks theater done but which I can not say for sure. I will say the color is unlike Ive seen on any helmet used in WWII or Korea. The liner is a well used westinghouse with WWII nape strap and headband. IMHO it looks like a set but again no way to truly tell. In any case I like it!

post-12393-0-34100900-1428638755.jpg

post-12393-0-47065200-1428638764.jpg

post-12393-0-77510000-1428638780.jpg

More

post-12393-0-56021900-1428638823.jpg

post-12393-0-06422900-1428638831.jpg

More

post-12393-0-66613700-1428638879.jpg

post-12393-0-91793900-1428638898.jpg

post-12393-0-10413200-1428638916.jpg

More

post-12393-0-42406400-1428638972.jpg

post-12393-0-62717500-1428638982.jpg

post-12393-0-66386700-1428638995.jpg

Your opinions are always appreciated and welcome

Thanks

Craig

I wonder if it is some sort of camouflage.

Looks very deliberate and not like some kid painted it for soap box derby.

It also looks old.

Hey but what do I know?

What does the paint on the liner look like?

I am not an expert, and this is a nice helmet. But...if the theory is that the camo was field applied, I'm pretty sure they didn't have spray paint in the field during WW2?

I wonder if it is some sort of camouflage.

Looks very deliberate and not like some kid painted it for soap box derby.

It also looks old.

Hey but what do I know?

What does the paint on the liner look like?

The paint looks to me field applied with the attempt to have some spots darker and others lighter. The liner has the original OD green paint with no decals or any other markings.

Thanks

Liner

post-12393-0-08678700-1428681250.jpg

I am not an expert, and this is a nice helmet. But...if the theory is that the camo was field applied, I'm pretty sure they didn't have spray paint in the field during WW2?

It is my understanding that helmets which underwent field repaint with a spray gun/ compressor during the war do exist, but most field repaints were done by hand and brush.

In the event that the cover and the helmet are an original pairing, the stamped EGA should place the helmet as post-WWII correct? I know that there is photographic evidence that covers were being occasionally marked with EGA's late in the war, but I have previously read that the EGA's were likely handpainted (not stamped).

Regardless, I love the look of the helmet. I agree with Anton that paint does very much resemble a deliberate camo scheme and the overall age and patina looks as it should (although I might expect a few more rust stains on the liner judging from the interior of the shell). I would be estatic to have the set in my collection.

I would agree that the liner would have more rust but there is very little rust on the beach side of the cover and what is there is what has bleed through from the green side. There are some small amounts of rust and salt (white residue) along the brim of the liner but not a lot. I think that the cover was kept in protecting the liner.

I have no history but the name "Mike" on the cover. The markings on the inside of the shell I can't make out. I'll see if I can't remove some of the rust to uncover the markings this weekend.

Thanks for your comments!

Craig