Handcrafted ribbon bars

Mark

I wanted to start a thread showcasing the many examples of ribbon bars that exhibit the human touch. Anyone can slide a ribbon on a rack, but every now and then you see a set that someone finished out exhibiting the pride in craftmanship, a trait lost throught the passage of time. In the case of many foriegn made bars, were hand sewn together using the devices available in the country of origin.

I will add some more of mine as time permits, but feel free to add ones from your collection.

Here is a set I will start the thread off with that have a strip of thin leather attached to the reverse. Over time the leather shrunk a tad, pulling the ribbons into a soft curve. When I first saw these I thought they were finished in cardboard, but the in hand inspection proved otherwise. Gotta love those oak leaves on the Air Medal ribbon, they appear to be from a country other than the US, though I am not sure where.

post-136-1216823663.jpg

post-136-1216823677.jpg

I wanted to start a thread showcasing the many examples of ribbon bars that exhibit the human touch. Anyone can slide a ribbon on a rack, but every now and then you see a set that someone finished out exhibiting the pride in craftmanship, a trait lost throught the passage of time. In the case of many foriegn made bars, were hand sewn together using the devices available in the country of origin.

I will add some more of mine as time permits, but feel free to add ones from your collection.

Here is a set I will start the thread off with that have a strip of thin leather attached to the reverse. Over time the leather shrunk a tad, pulling the ribbons into a soft curve. When I first saw these I thought they were finished in cardboard, but the in hand inspection proved otherwise. Gotta love those oak leaves on the Air Medal ribbon, they appear to be from a country other than the US, though I am not sure where.

Mark - I love the old hand made ribbon bars as well! I actually had a set made recently from a tailor in Taiwan...I think I actually got the info off the forum. Oddly, his prices were more competetive than some of the thin-ribbon makers and much nicer quality.

ItemCo16527
Mark - I love the old hand made ribbon bars as well! I actually had a set made recently from a tailor in Taiwan...I think I actually got the info off the forum. Oddly, his prices were more competetive than some of the thin-ribbon makers and much nicer quality.

That would be Leu's of Taiwan. I also had a set of ribbons made a few months ago to finish restoring a uniform to an Army Colonel I have in my collection. Their prices are very low compared to the high quality of their product. I highly recommend them.

Link: http://www.ribbons.com.tw/

This is the set I had made:

nbp4er.jpg

ItemCo16527

To further contribute, here are several ribbon groups I have in my collection. You're absolutely right, Mark, the handcrafted ribbons are becoming a lost art.

2e6d7ig.jpg

n5k10g.jpg

11rvzir.jpg

5a5rp1.jpg

33za7ih.jpg

5b7on7.jpg

uws2q.jpg

30cozrc.jpg

v4v7md.jpg

As you can see, I love the custom-made bars. :lol:

Some of my all time favorites are the British ribbon bars. The oversize stars and pronounced oak leaves make for a striking display.

post-136-1216995217.jpg

I know that in some instances the British adapted items from their own stocks to use on American uniforms. Does anyone know where the huge stars came from?

post-136-1216996179.jpg

ItemCo16527
I know that in some instances the British adapted items from their own stocks to use on American uniforms. Does anyone know where the huge stars came from?

The one in your picture is the same type found on the French Croix de Guerre. I have a few Croix de Guerre in my collection, and the stars are the same style, albeit larger a larger size as they are on the actual medal rather than a ribbon bar.

Due to the sheer number of Free French troops stationed in the UK prior to D-Day, I wouldn't be surprised if British tailors had large stocks of French, and French-style, ribbon devices.

The one in your picture is the same type found on the French Croix de Guerre. I have a few Croix de Guerre in my collection, and the stars are the same style, albeit larger a larger size as they are on the actual medal rather than a ribbon bar.

Due to the sheer number of Free French troops stationed in the UK prior to D-Day, I wouldn't be surprised if British tailors had large stocks of French, and French-style, ribbon devices.

Thanks for the reply.

I had considered the French or Belgian medal devices, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I found an image of exactly the same device on a 1939 French CdG.

post-136-1217102471.jpg

Seamlessly rolling right into another favorite handmade ribbon bar is this one, hand folded and sewn to the jacket of an ESB Captain. The delicate large palm device on the Croix de Guerre ribbon is really a kicker.

post-136-1217102608.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
ItemCo16527

Love the large palm on the Croix de Guerre ribbon!

Here's a set I just had made for my grandfather's Ike jacket. Leu's of Taiwan again.

post-5589-0-81480800-1403144622.jpg

30cozrc.jpg

That's an interesting collection of ribbons. A Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal with no stars for additional awards and Second Nicaraguan Campaign Medal (for service from 1926 to 1933) but no American Defense Service Medal. Also, the guy served in Europe and not the Pacific, rare for a Marine in WWII. Do you have any info on this guy? Was he part of a ship's complement or a guard at an embassy?

That's an interesting collection of ribbons. A Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal with no stars for additional awards and Second Nicaraguan Campaign Medal (for service from 1926 to 1933) but no American Defense Service Medal. Also, the guy served in Europe and not the Pacific, rare for a Marine in WWII. Do you have any info on this guy? Was he part of a ship's complement or a guard at an embassy?

couple of possibilities...the man was a Marine, got out after Nicauagara and then went Army later after the war started, which is why the EAME ribbon but lack of American Defense...because of break in service. Or, he was one of the very, very few Marines who were actually on Naval ships that participated in the European campaign. It's generally believed that no Marine served in Europe. While none may have served in ground operations, I read an article in the Marine Corps Times about the few Marines who were aboard Naval ships, manning posts and manning guns, during European campaign. If this man's service record can identify him as one of those Marines, that would be a very rare and very nice ribbon set for sure!

couple of possibilities...the man was a Marine and then went Army later, which is why the EAME ribbon. Or, he was one of the very, very few Marines who were actually on Naval ships that participated in the European campaign. It's generally believed that no Marine served in Europe. While none may have served in ground operations, I read an article in the Marine Corps Times about the few Marines who were aboard Naval ships, manning posts and manning guns, during European campaign. If this man's service record can identify him as one of those Marines, that would be a very rare and very nice ribbon set for sure!

I know all ribbon bars aren't always complete, but if he had uninterrupted service from the time of the Nicaraguan Campaign through the end of WWII as indicated by the Occupation Medal, he should also have the American Defense Service Medal. The possibility of his having served in the Marine Corps early in his career and then serving in the Army during WWII is a good possibility. I can't even tell from the material of the uniform in the picture whether it is Army or Marine Corps. Can we see another picture with a better shot of the uniform?

As far a Marines serving in ground combat in Europe, there is a great story in Jonathan Gawne's "Spearheading D-Day" about how it almost happened on D-Day when there was some talk of sending a Marine detachment ashore to resupply the Rangers at Omaha Beach but how that idea was possibly nixed by some high ranking Army officer worried about the headlines of Marines having to save the Army. Apparently there was still a lot of bad blood about the accolades the Marines received in WWI that some Army officers felt was undeserved. Supposedly, that lingering resentment is why the Marines did not participate in the European campaign as combat troops.

As far a Marines serving in ground combat in Europe, there is a great story in Jonathan Gawne's "Spearheading D-Day" about how it almost happened on D-Day when there was some talk of sending a Marine detachment ashore to resupply the Rangers at Omaha Beach but how that idea was possibly nixed by some high ranking Army officer worried about the headlines of Marines having to save the Army. Apparently there was still a lot of bad blood about the accolades the Marines received in WWI that some Army officers felt was undeserved. Supposedly, that lingering resentment is why the Marines did not participate in the European campaign as combat troops.

just another example of our interservice pissing contest. We're designed for just such landings, could have been useful in resupplying those Rangers. Of course, when you piss into the wind you get wet, and in combat, that costs lives

ItemCo16527

The man's name was Major Hubert W. Ross. He had served as a Trumpeter in the Marine Corps between 1930 and 1934, when he was discharged and went on to civilian life. He had earned the 2nd Nicaraguan Campaign Medal as part of the Marine Detachment aboard the USS Sturtevant around 1932, I believe. According to his obituary, he was a member of the US Coast Guard Reserve in 1943. Following his brief stint in the USCGR, he was drafted into the Army at the end of 1944. He became an officer this time, and retired from the Army in 1961 as a Major. During his time in the Army, he served all over the place. Germany during the Berlin Airlift, South Korea in the 50's, et al.

The uniform in the picture was from around 1948 when he was a Captain. The only insignia on it are the ribbons and bullion captain's bars.

Major Ross certainly got around. His military career spanned three branches of the US military, and four different decades. I bet he had some interesting stories to tell.

Edit: should have mentioned that the uniform the ribbons are sewn onto is just a plain old Army Ike jacket. If anybody still wants pictures, I'll take some tomorrow. The uniform isn't with me at the moment, so I can't just open the closet and grab it unfortunately.

Captainofthe7th

Here's my favorite ribbon bar - it happens to be Brit made. I think the colors are so rich..

post-5589-0-48953500-1403144755.jpg

post-5589-0-65290600-1403144780.jpg

Hope you like it

Rob

ItemCo16527

Hi Rob,
Love the English-made bar, especially the pin on the back.

Here's a sew on bar I have that combines American issue Air Medal and American Defense ribbons with an English made EAME ribbon. Definitely an interesting combination!

post-5589-0-98045900-1403144848.jpg

And to think, I found it buried in a "junk box" at a show many years ago.

• 8 months later...

I placed my order with Leu's on April 8th, today, just 11 days later, they arrived in the mail. Man these ribbons look great. I will start wearing them immediately!

Take a look.

post-1577-1240004185.jpg