Summer Service Uniform, Coat Spec. 1126

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

The only real indication that this WW I Army cotton uniform may have been used by a Marine is the name stamped on it by a rubber stamp. If any body has the resorces to check the name, we would really appriciate it. It is stamped, "Harry Cassmann". I don't think it was very common for army soldiers to stamp their name in their uniform, usually it is hand written.

Sadly, the buttons and collar disks are missing.

post-1549-1216818007.jpg

Jacket

post-1549-1216818029.jpg

Trousers

The uniform was donated from an old collection out of West Virginia, so the vet was probably from that area. It is in "as found" condition.

TIA

BKW

Brian Keith

Thanks Dirk,

Oh, well, it is still a good Army uniform with a name in it! And the buttons and brass will be much easier to replace! Ah, the good old silver lining to the dark cloud!

BKW

I believe Marine chevrons for the khaki uniform of the WW1 era had more of a green tint to the felt and they were worn on both arms. And weren't they two pocket jackets? (no bottom pockets)

Kurt

Brian Keith

KirtA,

You are probably right about the construction of the chevrons, and yes, Marines did wear them on each side at that time.

The Marines in France were issued Army uniforms after their Marine uniform became unservicable. We had a slim hope that this guy was a Marine, simply due the the use of a rubber name stamp.

Yes, a very long shot. Does any body know if he show up in any Army rosters?

Thanks for the replys.

BKW