China Marine Fur Hats and Diamonds

kanemono

Here is a page from my new book on the Horse Marines showing Mounted Detachment and Headquarters Diamonds and fur hats. The hats and diamonds are from the Marine Corps Museum and Mike Manifor collections. The book will be out on June 28th.

Dick

post-9487-0-26796500-1427751057.jpg

post-9487-0-62517500-1427751064.jpg

• 2 years later...

I visited the Museum of the Horse Soldier in Tucson, AZ last year. Although they lean heavy on the Army, if you have any interest in the history of mounted soldiers in the U.S. military, it is well worth the visit! Here's a link to their website: http://museumofthehorsesoldier.com/

Now for the reason of my post. They have a China Marine fur cap and a USMC saddle blanket and I thought others on the forum might be interested in seeing them. After searching the forum, I thought this might be the best thread in which to add them. The museum staff are working to add cards with information on their items, but this one didn't have the card yet.

post-203-0-04188400-1500824740_thumb.jpg

I had no idea this resides in my own state. I will have to get down there and check it out sometime. Thanks for the post. Kevin

SgtMaddoxUSMC

amazing stuff! I love those saddle blankets! And the diamond, of course but that goes without saying!

That is a very nice China Marine fur hat. The yellow enameled diamond is for the Mounted Detachment. If you can get a name on the hat I might have a portrait of the Marine with his horse. Here is the photograph that is with the hat.

Dick

post-9487-0-45132900-1500898327_thumb.jpg

That is a very nice China Marine fur hat. The yellow enameled diamond is for the Mounted Detachment. If you can get a name on the hat I might have a portrait of the Marine with his horse. Here is the photograph that is with the hat.

Dick

Thanks Dick! I'll reach out to the curator and see if they have a name. By the way, your new book is on my "must get" list.

I had no idea this resides in my own state. I will have to get down there and check it out sometime. Thanks for the post. Kevin

Warguy, The trip to Tucson is worth it. The museum looks small from the outside, but I spent a good two hours looking at the displays. I'll start a thread showing some of the photos that I took. While you are in Tucson, I would recommend a visit to the Pima Air and Space Museum. The aircraft displays are interesting and they have a very nice collection of A-2s.

Thanks Beast! I have been to Pima a couple times before and it is well worth the trip. I remember the old Champlin air museum in Mesa years ago but they moved much of that to Seattle. I am up north in the mountains so it is a 4 1/2 hour drive to Tucson but it is on my list the next time I get down there. Thanks again, Kevin

I have the book kanemono wrote and it's pretty awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in China Marines and horse Marine-related material. Here's one of my Marine Corps Horse gems. Everything is Marine Corps marked.

post-2182-0-22996200-1501100313.jpg

post-2182-0-42406300-1501100322.jpg

post-2182-0-64791200-1501100336.jpg

post-2182-0-08572000-1501100343.jpg

post-2182-0-55029800-1501100378.jpg

Beast I believe this cap came out of the Whitton collection several years ago along with a pair of boots and is one he let me add to my web site, before he sold it. It did not go cheap. A beautiful and rare piece of militaria, not surprisingly few survived, given their construction. A fellow Fourm member has one, and is working on an article about these hats based in part on what he found in the National Archives.

Great saddle Kevin! Here are some more photographs of the Mounted Detachment fur cap. They didn't just wear the fur hat in Peiping, it was also worn by Marines in Tientsin, China. I have a Tientsin yearbook similar to the Peiping yearbook that has the portraits of Marines wearing the fur cap.

Dick

post-9487-0-72997500-1501165528_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-79406200-1501165535_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-25410900-1501165561_thumb.jpg

I have the book kanemono wrote and it's pretty awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in China Marines and horse Marine-related material. Here's one of my Marine Corps Horse gems. Everything is Marine Corps marked.

Umm. Oh. WOW! That saddle set-up is spectacular!

Beast I believe this cap came out of the Whitton collection several years ago along with a pair of boots and is one he let me add to my web site, before he sold it. It did not go cheap. A beautiful and rare piece of militaria, not surprisingly few survived, given their construction. A fellow Fourm member has one, and is working on an article about these hats based in part on what he found in the National Archives.

Dirk, Thanks for the info on the hat and the heads-up about the book. I have a soft spot for headgear so I would like to add that book to my reference library.

Great saddle Kevin! Here are some more photographs of the Mounted Detachment fur cap. They didn't just wear the fur hat in Peiping, it was also worn by Marines in Tientsin, China. I have a Tientsin yearbook similar to the Peiping yearbook that has the portraits of Marines wearing the fur cap.

Dick

Very nice example Dick!