rayg

My mannequin displays

That is a great find!

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Mike most of my mannequins are store throw aways or those I made. If you go to page 21, of my dislays post I show how I make them, Ray

donation2008.gif

Just added another set of 1903 pattern cartridge belt suspenders. They are in mint condition. For some reason I have been lucky finding these rare suspender as this is the 4th set I turned up and three of them were still in mint condition. Mike, from US Military Museum, has the last set I got as I only need one set. This new set has the 1905 patent date on the metal whereas the set that I have on my mannequin is an earlier set made before the patent date was added. Now I have to decide which set to keep as I don't need both of them, Ray

post-89-0-28579100-1351613358_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif

Well Mike of Victory Museum has these suspenders now. :mellow: That makes two of the mint suspenders sets that I had that he talked me out of. He must have one heck of a great collection. At least I know he has two pair of mint 1903 suspenders in it. :) Oh well, I still have the ones on my mannequin and really didn't need another pr. I'm glad he can use them, Ray

donation2008.gif

You have a fantastic collection. I enjoy review this thread over and over. Thanks for sharing.

Gene

-Gene

“The English fight for Honor, the French for Glory, but the Americans fight for Souvenirs!"

Roy S. Durstine, 1918

That's a World Class Man Cave to the Militaria hobbiest.

Thanks for Sharing.

-wagner-

Thanks for the nice comments gentlemen.

Well I almost had a couple more nice items to add to my collection to show here as while at a show I picked up a really nice last pattern Hawley helmet that was in super shape with no wear what so ever to the rim and also a absolutely mint, and I mean mint, Buff CW Inf belt and US buckle. The brass still had all the guild on it. But greed over came me as after I bought them I was offered quite a bit more money more then I paid :( not really greed, :mellow: I just needed the money as right after I had purchased them I spotted the big prize that I had been looking for to add to my WWII era sniper rifle collection. Which was a completey all matching, including the scope mount and base, an early WWII period Swedish M41 sniper which still had it's original AGA 42 scope. Keep in mind, to find a M41 still all matching including the mount and base and with that early 1943-45 scope is a really rare bird. Not too many of them still around in that condition.

I've been buyin a lot of rifles latey and one of my recent buys that I will be adding here in the near future, is an absolutely mint, unfired, US Remington made French, 07/15 Berthier rifle that remained in the US after the French cancled the contract w/Remington. Some of these undelivered rifles were used for training US troops in the states. Hope everyone has a happy and successful New Year, :D , Ray

donation2008.gif

It is very impressive. That is an awful lot of interesting material.

I have but one comment... mannequins are not good for display. I'm not trying to trivialize what you are doing... I'm pretty impressed, actually. Let me clarify what I mean.

In the museum world, we don't use store mannequins. We use specialized display mannequins or armatures. Commercial mannequins do something called "off-gas". They emit substances that are pretty harmful to most artifacts... especially to textiles like your fantastic uniforms. At our museum, we use inert materials... usually coated aluminum stock... and create frame armatures padded with special foam. The wrong foam can REALLY hurt an object. We bolt the aluminum together in the appropriate configuration, pad it with Ethafoam, and proceed to install the artifacts. Mannequins can be expensive anyway... the armatures are super cheap to build. If you had the time, you'd be doing your collection a world of service.

Very cool collection regardless.

Thanks Dougnik for that info. and welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of interesting topics here as well as some very knowledgable folks willing to share that knowledge here.

What museum do you work in?

I knew that certain plastics emit harmful agents to paper but hadn't thought about the painted mannequins doing it also. I'm sure you're right. But at my stage in life, I'm not looking toward a long time holding of the collection, much as I hate to think about it and the enjoyment it has given me, but down the line, I hope later then sooner I will have to let new owners worry about it.

Some of the CW clothing has been on the mannequins for over 30-40 yrs. I began putting the CW ones together in the 70's. I rountinely check for any outward appearance of damage like deterioration, moths, mold etc. and have not found any so far. The collection is maintained in a humidity controlled closed room between 55-58% and so far that has helped preserve the items. On some of them, I had put a T-shirt on before the clothing which probably helped. Thank you for your well intended concern, Ray

donation2008.gif

Sorry douginuk, spelled your name wrong, just noticed, Ray

donation2008.gif

really impressive !! Great collection !!

Looking for a pair of E1 heated gloves

donation2014.gif

Just picked this tankers helmet up at a small military show today. I already had a mint one that was as well equiped but I like this one better as it has seen service. There is the GI's Last name initial and last four numbers of his serial number written in the liner and it's a Wilson in a nice large 7-3/8 size. Nice R-4 ear set with an extended cord that I'm told is for a tank comander so he can stand up and look out the hatch. Ray

post-89-0-19299800-1357508414.jpg

post-89-0-48235000-1357508494.jpg

donation2008.gif

Hmm., now that I'm looking at the photos, I don't know which one I like better. The mint one has the sun gasses case and extra lens. Ray

post-89-0-94427100-1357575847_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-91489000-1357575883.jpg

donation2008.gif