rayg

My mannequin displays

Ray: had a couple slow days at work and finally went one end to the other on your post. Truly amazing. Thanks so much for posting.

Bud, thanks for the compliment, glad you liked the collection. It took a long time to put together and get everthing original and correct per period, Ray

Ray: had a couple slow days at work and finally went one end to the other on your post. Truly amazing. Thanks so much for posting.

donation2008.gif

Here's 48 letters written by four Wisconsin soldier brothers, 1861-65 to their father in Waterloo, WI. that I have. Only one brother survived the war and approximately 33 are his letters. 29 envelopes remain with stamps having been removed. Many of the letters are four pages and 8"X11" size with about 145 pages total. Three of the brothers were from the 11th WI and one from the 36th. Interesting accounts in the trenches in front of Vicksburg and one actual use of bayonets in a charge at Camp Blakely, Ray

post-89-1338144258.jpg

post-89-1338144298.jpg

donation2008.gif

Here's the trans scribed battle letter, Ray

post-89-1338144580.jpgpost-89-1338144604.jpg

donation2008.gif

Omg Thats Alot!

Check out My YouTube Channel 1stArmySarge Subscribe for weekly Videos on U.S WWII Items and Reviews!

In Memory of Arthur L Bever

World War II Veteran

Aug 17 1917-Oct 3 2010

Here is my latest rare find. A 1917 Enfield rifle grenade launcher. It's still in mint condition and was still in the wrap and covered in cosmoline. These 1917 grenade launchers are extremely rare as I understand that only 39,000 of them were made between Nov 1941 through July 42 and are 10 times rarer then the 1903 rifle launchers because the 1917 Enfield was designated as a 2nd line weapon in WWII and the 1903 was the main rifle used for grenade launching then. In addition a large number of these 1917 launchers were eventually converted to 03 launchers.

I need to tell the story on how I finally obtained this launcher as it is most unusual.

I first saw it on a forum posted by an indivual that said he just bought it in an auction that was selling off some of the inventory of the Hershey Museum in Pennsylvania. The indivual said he was probably going to sell it so I emailed him that I was interested and he contacted me back with a price which I mailed him back that I agreed to and requested his address. Hearing nothing back after several more of my emails and after several days he then finally replied that his dad liked it and wanted it. So I was disappointed and figured that was that.

Now the rest of the story.

I went with a buddy who had a table to the JAG Louisville, Ky, gun and military show in June. It was about a 1300 table show, pretty big even for a summer show. Now while watchng his table I decided to just walk the 10 feet accross the isle and check the tables which I hadn't brothered to check before but we were getting ready to leave the show in about half an hour. Guess what I saw on one of the tables almost directly accross from our table? yep, the very same 1917 grenade launcher I was supposed to get from the indivual who backed out of the deal and who lived in Pennsylvania. I couldn't believe it, from Pennsylvania to Kentucky to 10 feet from me. What's the odds of that and especially in a 1300 table show.

The seller said he got it in trade from a guy in Penn, Maybe the father.

Of course I bought it but for a bit more money. Unbelievable isn't it what's the odds of that.

That has been one of the best shows for me. In addition to picking up this scarce launcher there, I also got a super scarce Lee Enfield/P14/ Ross rifle barb wire cutting device that attaches on the muzzles of those rifles. It also fits on the US 1917 and the 1903 Springfield rifles and I'm sure many were passed out to US troops to use for cutting the barb wire during an attack accross no mans land. I'l post some photos of it later. Ray

post-89-1340543304.jpg

donation2008.gif

Ray, your collection continues to astound me

Thanks Chris.

As promised here are the photos of the wire cutter I also got at the show. It attaches to the muzzle of a rifle and was used to cut Barb wire. It works by placing the wire between the two forks and pulling down the rifle which swivels the device and causes the cutting jaws to close and sever the wire.

It fits the British rifles as well as the US 1917 Enfields and 1903 Springfields and although a British made item it probably was used by US troops as well.

It's the first pattern made in 1916.

These cutters are exremly scare in the US and after I bought it I walked around and showed it to a lot of people I knew and not one had the slightest idea of what it was and have never seen one before. I had a lot of fun with it. Ray

post-89-1343239274.jpg

post-89-1343239310.jpg

donation2008.gif

Nice. Very nice, Ray.

Since you've broken out the camera recently, how about taking additional photos

of your SAW infantry soldiers. I never tire of admiring your collection.

Mike.

donation2009.gif

WOW, what a collection! :o

WTB Front Seam M1 Helmet, nothing refurbished. Also looking for WWII uniforms (Ike jackets or field jackets), medals, please pm me with details, price and pics. Looking for 8th AAF items as that was what my uncle was in. Also WTB 1/6 DiD Major Richard Dick Winters Figure

donation2012.gif

Mike is there anything special you want to see with the SAW uniform set-up's? I can't take the back views too easy though because of the way they are set up against the walls, Ray

donation2008.gif

Another new addition, A 1903 Springfield with a 1905 serial # 169189 receiver with an 8-09 dated bbl. Beginning in 1907, Springfield began pulling rod bayonet and 1905 Modification rifles from Ordnance stores and altering the rifles to the new Model 1906 cartridge and the knife bayonet as required. This issuance and recall continued through early 1910 and resulted in rifles having earlier dated receivers then barrels. The metal on this one is still in original blue/black finish with about 90% finish remaining with the exception of about the first four inches of the barrel area which has some pitting and roughness. The bore appears to be in excellent condition. The rear sight still has the early 1st type slide with the platinum sighting line and a smaller windage knob. The stock is in excellent condt and appears to have been “Boned” smooth which was a common practice by soldiers and as a result there is only a possible of a whisper of a cartouche on the side of the stock which might be seen if the light is right. The Inspectors stamps, “ 8 A 26” are still visible behind the trigger guard and a small “s” is stamped on the tip on the stock. It has the early style plain butt plate, straight bolt, and a non-sight groove hand guard. The rifle is in original condition as assembled by the arsenal with the exception of the boned stock.

Ray

post-89-1344429751.jpg

post-89-1344429707.jpg

donation2008.gif

After I received the rifle and during cleaning it, I opened up the butt trap and couldn't believe my eyes as still inside was the super rare wooden spare parts container having an extra striker and firing pin in it. Just missing the extractor. These wooden containers that were once issued to the sqd leader. Brophy's book says every other rifle, but that might be in error as they extremely scarce and original ones are very valuable and are worth a lot of money just by themselves. The rebuild probably took place 1909-10 as the groove for the parts container and the altering to low wood on both sides of the stock took place about that time.

post-89-1344430714.jpgpost-89-1344430738.jpg

donation2008.gif

Speaking about things discovered in the butt traps of rifles after you buy them, here's another rare item that I had found in my Winchester Lee Navy rifle after I bought it. It's an original pull through cleaning brush and patch fixture made by Winchester for the 6mm Navy rifles. It's a very rare and hard to find item.

One should always check the butt traps of every rifle you buy or sell as you never know what you might find. The wooden parts container for the 03 Springfield I've shown above is quite valuable and by itself almost as much as what I paid for the rifle. Ray

post-89-1347456693.jpg

post-89-1347456645.jpg

donation2008.gif

Very nice Ray

Super rifles.

That O3 is a beauty.Never seen the parts kit before.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

post-89-1347971751.jpg

Very nice Ray

Super rifles.

That O3 is a beauty.Never seen the parts kit before.

Thanks doyler.

I just reviewed my past posts of my collection and see that a number of photos have been deleted by the site Tinypics I had used for some of them on the earlier dated posts of mine. There must be a time limit on their photos I guess.

Anyway, I had replaced the missing extractor on the 1903 parts container and see that the container for the extractor is designed to fit like a puzzle in in the firing pin in the container so it does not protrude beyond the same dia so it fits in the butt trap.

post-89-1347971751.jpg[

post-89-1347971790.jpg

donation2008.gif