Acquiring the Elusive China Marine Hat Badge

Dirk

You probably can't be a serious China Marine collector and not think at least once about acquiring a Legation Guard Hat Diamond. For those unaware, the Marines assigned to Legation Guard duty in Peiping and later their detachment in Tientsin designed and wore a unique diamond shaped badge on their winter fur caps. When the Marines arrived in Peking they wore Army issue muskrat fur caps through the winter months. In time, these were replaced with fur caps of Chinese manufacture. Later, Marines added EGAs to these caps. Then in the late 1920's, the Mounted Detachment had local Chinese craftsman produce an enameled and brass diamond with an EGA centered. Only the two Marine detachments above wore these diamonds. Each diamond's enamel could be painted a different color to correspond to each Marine line company, Mounted Detachment or Headquarters Company. The diamond cap badge continued to be worn until both the Peiping and Tientsin detachments were captured by the Japanese on 8 December 1941.

Since that time these diamonds have become difficult to find. Some Marines I interviewed, assured me when they left China they turned their diamonds back into the quartermaster. Others are equally sure they were allowed to keep them...and indeed in some cases the diamonds remain in their families possession. Whatever the case, not many of these have survived. And to make matters worse they have been reproduced for a number of years. These diamonds are not complex in construction and it does not take much effort to reproduce a passible facsimile. In the past I have been offered several examples but never felt confident to pick one up. Today however, I was fortune to acquire a authentic and attributed example from a trusted source. For me this has been a long search and I am glad I waited, as Seller has handled numerous examples and has an excellent understanding of these unique cap devices. My search has come to an end...until I find another. Enjoy.

BTW the Marine shown above wearing a fur cap is not the original owner....I will have to send for his service record to hopefully see a photo of the diamonds owner.

image.jpg

image.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I second what Tim said! I've been looking for one of those for awhile! Now you have to look for the other colored diamonds!

Finally! A great looking badge, Dirk. Congrats on adding it to your collection. Semper Fi......Bob

Thanks guys! Hopefully over the next few years more information will be discovered on the producers of these.....

I second what Tim said! I've been looking for one of those for awhile! Now you have to look for the other colored diamonds!

Get in line!

teufelhunde.ret

Wow! I had forgotten about this plate since we last spoke, it's as good as it gets, as these are scarce as the proverbial hens tooth. It will look good on your website; chinamarine.org For those who have not visited his website... do go there soon, it is the best source of China Marine info on the web! Look forward to seeing a photo of the rear. s/f

Thanks guys! D I will be adding it to the web site and a few more things then back to research.....I have some new leads to chase after speaking that that new China Marine I found!

Dick I will pm you....congrats on the book!

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys for your kind words! As Leatherneck stated "a real one".....thankfully we have a fourm member who has handled enough of them and lives close by to give me a hands on tutorial on these from examples in his own collection. We have discussed these and ID'd several questions we need to solve about their construction.

On a side note, the son of the U.S. Ambassador to China through 1940 lives close enough that I have been able to interview him on a number of occasions and he told me as a child growing up in pre-war China, how proud he was when the Peiping Marine Det Commander, Col Rixley gave him his very own fur cap with HQ Comapny diamond in it one Christmas. He saved a copy of "orders" written expressly for him by the XO authorizing the young boy to begin wearing the winter fur cap when the MarDet transitioned to their fur caps in early December.

Here are the fur hats with the diamonds worn by Peiping Marines. These are images from my China Horse Marine book.

Dick

post-9487-0-47750300-1434489430.jpg