Help on Medals I can't tell what ERA...

AverageJoeWWII

AverageJoeWWII

I need help identifying if the American campaign medal pictured is a 1940's production or is it later ? The American Defense I believe to be 40's...the ETO medal is a later production as I was able to research here on the forum, due to the bronze wash to highlight the details, you can also see that the helmet nets are not present or slightly visible due to die wear...but the American Campaign I not sure about ...help me out !!!!

post-39781-0-18191400-1427660471.jpg

post-39781-0-27562600-1427660483.jpg

Javelin4life

The American defense (far left) is WWII vintage. The EAME and American theatre medals, the best way to tell is two methods:

1- the patina on the medals. If it has an almost dull finish its most likely aged with time from WWII. Newer medals will have "blackened" outlines.

2- on the American theatre and EAME, there should be a small "W" hallmark towards the bottom of the Eagles perch. That's usuLly an indication it's wwii vintage.

I'd say all 3 are from that era. Nice finds.

Alex

AverageJoeWWII

Thanks Alex, based on that...I am going to go with the American Campaign as WWII strike...On the EAME medal I'm more confused now. It clearly has the blackend wash over it. Not quite as clearly visiable in the photos and it has the Hallmark "W" on the back...so is it or is it not WWII vintage ??? Opinions ??

AverageJoeWWII

Ok now looking closer and looking for more details, I have concluded that the EAME is for sure a later strike. If you compare edges od all three medals ..the EAME has rounded edges as compared to the others I have in my collection that have a sharp flat edge. If you click on the picture and zoom in you will see what I mean...I guess I answered my own questions...LOL !!! Rob

Brian Dentino

Can you get a better/closer shot of the brooch on the AC? It doesn't look like a slot brooch like the PTO, which it should be if it is indeed a WWII manufactured time frame.....better pics would help.

Thanks!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42453-wwii-crimped-brooch-theater-medals/

Take a look at this post, it might help. The American Defense and American Theater look WWII Vintage. The EAME looks to be a much later strike that black wash is a dead give away that it was made much later. Late war medals were made with the crimp brooch. Sometimes you can find them with the slot brooch, but by that time most manufacturers were switching over to the crimp brooch method of making medals.

Another way to tell if the medal is WWII or late 40s made is that crimp brooch medals of that vintage have no marking on the crimp brooch plate under the pin. Later made medals normally have the maker's mark visible under the pin.

In that link I sent you take a look at post #10 and you can see what I mean about the marked and unmarked brooches.

Nice medals.

Dennis

AverageJoeWWII

Brain D... the AC medal is a crimp brooch medal with no manufactures marks. Hope this helps. Rob

The American Defence and the American Campaign are from the 40's. The EAME is probably from the 80's.

Just another telltale when determining era; the 80s and later strikes along with the backwash will also have that sloppy single extruded looking suspension lug. The period pieces have that well defined lug obverse and reverse.

• 1 month later...

I know that you are more knowledgeable about "Maker Marks" than I am.

Do you know who the "Maker Mark" "P-30" belongs to?

I have attached a photo of a "Navy Cross Medal" with the "P-30" "Makers Mark".

I also have a "Silver Star Medal" and a "Purple Heart Medal" with "P-30" stamped on the brooch.

post-124041-0-00452700-1431993129.jpg