Location of KO'd M4

Jim Baker

I was hoping someone could help me out with the location of "Buck Private", a knocked out M4 Sherman. I have these two photos that have been identified as being in both Italy and France. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance.

post-78-0-71572500-1427578872.jpg

Yes Gil, where the tank was when these were taken.

McDermut, when armored vehicles were not salvageable, they were stripped by the ordnance guys for any usable parts.

Although it has a great big star on the door, the car in the background appears to be a late 30's/early 40's Citroen Traction Avant. Very similar lines

Good Luck.

That's a very early production M4 with the symmetrical, hoop type track skids, so it is probably not NW Europe after D-Day, as most of the units there had later production or rebuilt tanks. Could easily be North Africa, Sicily, Italy or Southern France.

This was NOT photographed in France. It was taken in Italy and this photo is the opposite side of the same tank, as photographed by a 79th Fighter Group P-47 pilot in 1944. The 79th remained in Italy through the cessation of hostilities and never went into Southern France.

Quote taken from this site; https://zh-tw.facebook.com/M4A3E8/posts/490999054323159

Erwin

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. Thanks Erwin for the link. Seems to have stirred up some conversation in the past.

• 2 years later...
Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

I just got back into researching this tank. I can say 100% sure that it was in Italy. The second photo posted was put on the internet by me, after receiving it from the daughter of a 79th Fighter Group P-47 pilot. The 79th only fought in North Africa and Italy. It was absolutely in Italy.

v/r

Jon

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I just got back into researching this tank. I can say 100% sure that it was in Italy. The second photo posted was put on the internet by me, after receiving it from the daughter of a 79th Fighter Group P-47 pilot. The 79th only fought in North Africa and Italy. It was absolutely in Italy.

v/r

Jon

Thanks Jon. Sorry for the late response, just noticed your post.

• 2 weeks later...