Restoration of my 1941 Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car

zepher11

I finally came up with the idea to stick the propane heater in there to see if it would loosen up the top:

CC_0770.JPG

I picked up this tool to assist in installing the lift-the-dots. It works really good:

CC_0859.JPG

Only one chance to get it exactly right, so I really took my time to make sure everything was lined up:

CC_0945.JPG

CC_1032.JPG

CC_1129.JPG

CC_1221.JPG

CC_1317.JPG

CC_1421.JPG

Couple of days later the sun actually came out and it was 80 degrees! Could have used that the week before:

CC_0296.JPG

CC_0395.JPG

Installed the interior bow straps that keep the bows in place. Not like they are going to move. That top is as tight as a drum:

CC_0860.JPG

Then I moved back to the radio cabinet. I found some round head solid steel rivets that I want to use for the hinge installation:

CC_0586.JPG

Then I started over thinking the section of the radio cabinet that would be under the hinge. I thought i may rust under the hinge if not treated proper before the it was install, so I prepped it and primed and painted:

CC_0676.JPG

CC_0771.JPG

Now I have discovered that that the rivet will not allow the doors to fully fold together. May need to find some flat head rivets. it's all the little things that one has to think through. Problem is that it all makes sense after the fact! Oh well.

Yesterday I received my Weston volt gauge back from my gauge guy. Although it was an NOS unit, the coil was fried. He tried to find a coil, but to no avail. He was going to send it back as just a non-functional show piece, then called me and said he had an idea on how to make it work. I said go for it. Installed it today:

CC_0587.JPG

After install, I hooked the battery back up and flipped the toggle switch above the gauge and bingo! It works. Wow! I can't believe I have all of the gauges working now:

CC_0677.JPG

Now trying to determine the correct angle of the antenna base mount. I was told that it is at 55 degrees. I mocked it up at 55 degrees and it doesn't seen right to me:

CC_0861.JPG

CC_0947.JPG

Researching vintage photos now to get a better idea of the angle.

Overall, happy to have all of the gauges working. Now need to work on the radio display to get that into the rig.

Zeph,

I always get excited when I see updates in this thread. I have read these a couple of times and still want to go back and read again. It is really looking nice! I love to read things you have done and find similarities in airplanes. We recently put in shock mounts for the auto-pilot. Your fabricated shock mount from pictures looks amazing! Very interesting to see steel rivets. Are they put in the same way as aluminum rivets? The top and instruments are looking very nice!

Thanks, Kat

Zeph,

Just now getting back to your project, as usual I'm astounded at your fab skills.

The problem you had with the broken wire in the distributor also happened to me.

I made a wire similar to what you did and it worked right up to the time it broke again.

Seems I used a regular automotive stranded copper wire with soldered ends. As the

breaker plate moved back and forth the wire work hardened and broke again.

I didn't know there is a special soft brained wire with crimped ends, I suspect you already

knew this. Once again I'm thoroughly enjoying your project!

Tom

Zeph it looks like about half that angle on the mount,,, just look at your original Army pic and see how close it is to the top mounting stud

Awesome work as usual. It all depends on what you are using for your 0 and in which direction, you may be using the angle's compliment.

Thank you everyone. Yes, I was measuring the 55 degrees on the antenna mount, but I neglected to take 90 degrees and subtract the 55 degrees to get 35 degrees I needed. All is right with the world now. All mocked up and mounted. Need to blast and paint now:

CC_0397.JPG

CC_0490.JPG

I also bought some angle iron yesterday to redo the radio cabinet. When I first embarked on the project I thought the metal was tubular, but as more photos popped up it was finally determined that it is actually angle iron. Need to tear into it a bit to cut out the some of the tubes a replace with the angle:

CC_0588.JPG

I don't recall if I posted a photo of the three data plates for the radio shielding equipment I had made. Likely haven't been made since 1941-42. They turned out really nice and should pass the 10 foot test:

CC_206.JPG

Here's a photo of an original someone sent me. I sent this photo to a guy in England and he made the plates for me from the photo. Seems like magic to me:

WC16_Data_Plate_5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The Dodge is looking swell with that canvas stretched on it. Nice work as usual zeph!

Terry

Thank you Terry!

Made a little more progress on the command car. As I mentioned previously, I needed to remove the tubular framing of the radio chest and replace with angle iron as I now know is what was used on the original chests. I also had to find some other type of rivets for the door hinges as the round heads would hit each other when the door was fully folded, so I found some flat head rivets:

CC_0948.JPG

I then employed some old chunk of railroad track I have as a backing about proceeded to pound the out the rivets for the hinge:

CC_0197.JPG

I could do a couple at a time:

CC_0298.JPG

Completed the first hinge assembly:

CC_0398.JPG

Both door assemblies completed:

CC_0491.JPG

I then went to work removing the tubular framing for the cabinet:

CC_0589.JPG

I left the top and bottom tubes:

CC_0679.JPG

Welding in the angle iron:

CC_0773.JPG

All done:

CC_0862.JPG

Next I tried to configure the doors so they would mount to the radio chest like I believe the originals would have been from photos I have seen. Probably not exactly like it was done back in 1941, but at least I gave it a go. First I notched the angle iron and inserted the one tab for the right side of the large door:

CC_01100.JPG

I then cut down some little section of angle iron to weld to the back of the doors. These should fit in the notches and then slide down with the door to secure it to the cabinet. At least I was hoping that would be the case:

CC_02101.JPG

Here the tabs are welded to the back of the doors. I also added some metal stops at the bottom to align the doors so they would fit properly:

CC_03100.JPG

All done and the doors fit really well. They insert and slide down hold them to the cabinet and the they would fold up and latch at the top with hasp latches:

CC_0493.JPG

This is what I'm thinking at the moment for latches, but I don't think I am completely happy with them yet. Still pondering what to do:

CC_0591.JPG

I also finally found the time to install the radio shielding data plates:

CC_1131.JPG

CC_0950.JPG

Finally have all the radio shielding installed for the first time including the coil box:

CC_1035.JPG

And then to add to my stress level, I had to go to the DMV to register this thing. No bill of sale or title. I also wish to register it with original 1941 California license plates:

I made some license plate frame from the left over angle iron:

CC_02102.JPG

I think I will put the front plate here:

CC_03101.JPG

And, I was originally thinking attaching the rear plate to the pintle hitch bolts, but now I'm thinking I may relocate it to the top of the pioneer rack:

CC_0592.JPG

We'll see. The fate of my title and license plate request has been sent down to Sacramento for a determination. Should hear something within three months if I can get a title and/or use the plates. Only took two trips to the DMV and five hours. That's a record. My WC54 took four trips and my WC52 weapons carrier took five trips to the DMV. And they had valid titles! If I can pull this one off, it may be best to toss the titles and start over each time on a vintage MV.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up mounting the rear license plate on top of the pioneer rack. I didn't want to take the chance that it would get damaged if mounted lower:

CC_0681.JPG

Front plate installed as well:

CC_0864.JPG

Found a 12 volt horn and cleaned it up a bit. Now I have a meeper:

CC_02103.JPG

CC_0495.JPG

CC_03102.JPG

Also located a second hood prop. Although the half-ton Dodge WC's didn't come with then I find it handy to keep the hood off my head:

CC_1036.JPG

I don't remember if I mentioned that I came out one morning and the windshield had a big crack in it. It appeared that if emanated from the edge of the glass under the frame. I tried to convince the glass shop it was their mistake, but they weren't buying it. However, in the end they worked with me and did all the work and cut new glass for $100 which I thought was more than fair:

CC_03103.JPG

Rolled her out for an iPhone shoot between rainstorms. We have a short window when the grass in green before it is scorched earth:

CC_0496.JPG

If all goes well, I will be taking the CC down to the big April military vehicle show down in Petaluma California next week. Nothing but rain in the forecast. Kind of hate to tow it in the rain with the top off, but looks like that will be the case. Oh well.

The Meatcan

zeph, getting the plates on and all those other finishing touches is certainly a big event!

Toot that "meeper" with pride! :D

it really looks fantastic!

Terry

In this application, the distributor has to be pulled apart to get to the screws:

CC_0479.JPG

So comforting, to see a real distributor again...

Zeph,

Amazing updates! I love your bucking bar for riveting! :D Sorry to hear about your windshield. You will have to take pictures at the show! You would take your new baby out in the rain without a top? :o

...Kat

The CC is looking great!

I just saw an article about a guy in England who bought a Iraqi tank and found gold bars hidden in the gas tank. Considering you've had this thing down to nuts and bolts, I doubt you'd find anything like that, but I did think of you when I read about it. Maybe on your next restoration....

Wish I could go to that show, but doesn't look like it's going to happen. Hope you have a great time.

Mikie

zeph, getting the plates on and all those other finishing touches is certainly a big event!

Toot that "meeper" with pride! :D

it really looks fantastic!

Terry

Thank you Terry!

So comforting, to see a real distributor again...

lol...yes, it's something that one doesn't see too often any longer.

Zeph,

Amazing updates! I love your bucking bar for riveting! :D Sorry to hear about your windshield. You will have to take pictures at the show! You would take your new baby out in the rain without a top? :o

...Kat

Hi Kat

I'm stressing about taking it down to Petaluma in the rain. It appears that it will clear in the morning and rain in the afternoon this coming Wednesday. I am going to blast out of here early in the am and try to get there by noon and cover it up. Then beginning Thursday there is nothing but sunny day projected through Sunday. Need to cross my fingers!

Fantastic update! That is going to look great in the parade!

Well, it will be in the show as you note, but there will be some parades in the future. :)

The CC is looking great!

I just saw an article about a guy in England who bought a Iraqi tank and found gold bars hidden in the gas tank. Considering you've had this thing down to nuts and bolts, I doubt you'd find anything like that, but I did think of you when I read about it. Maybe on your next restoration....

Wish I could go to that show, but doesn't look like it's going to happen. Hope you have a great time.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I saw that article on the tank with the gold bars. That would have been nice that's for sure. If you do happen to get time to head up to Petaluma, let me know. It should be a really good show!

• 4 weeks later...

Zeph,

How did the show turn out? Did your baby do alright in the rain? I miss seeing your updates! What is new in the world of restoration?

...Kat

Zeph,

How did the show turn out? Did your baby do alright in the rain? I miss seeing your updates! What is new in the world of restoration?

...Kat

Hi Kat,

The military vehicle show down in Petaluma CA was good. Took the command car down there and had a good time. I brought it back for a big car show in our area, but I fried the coil as the key was inadvertently left on. I changed that...which isn't easy and ran fine for a bit, but now it won't at all. Turns over and everything seems fine...just won't start. A bit frustrating.

I also had to deal with my new canvas top rear window that started to rip out of the canvas:

CC_02104.JPG

CC_01102.JPG

I was worried that it was going to rip all along the canvas and ruin it, so I took it apart and went to a local canvas shop for some help:

CC_03104.JPG

The fella at the canvas shop suggested sewing in some awning material that is really rip resistant and then reinstall. I went with a brown color as it looked kinda like leather. He sewed it in for me:

CC_0497.JPG

He suggested that I reinstall the top and at it's tightest reinstall the window and frame. Here is what it looked like with the awning material installed:

CC_0594.JPG

Outside view:

CC_0683.JPG

Since I do everything by myself, I had a hard time reaching all the way around from the inside to the outside to hold the inner and outer window frame. I decided to use some tapping screws to hold the inner frame:

CC_1037.JPG

I punched some nice round holes for the screws that I marked with the tapping screws:

CC_0865.JPG

The canvas manufacturer seemed to use like a drill to make the terrible holes in the canvas when I first received it. Not done very well.

Then with some doing, I was able to install the screws in the frame loosely and reinstalled the canvas, Then i tightened them up.

CC_0776.JPG

CC_0952.JPG

With the frame in and the screws tightened after the canvas top was reinstalled, I cut out the new awning material:

CC_1134.JPG

Doesn't look too bad. A lot stronger now and hopefully I won't have to worry about it for a while now. Of course, this project took an entire day:

CC_1224.JPG

After that was done I installed some of the snaps to hold the canvas to the bows:

CC_1519.JPG

CC_1613.JPG

Also made a pedal pad for the foot starter as I couldn't find one anywhere:

CC_1319.JPG

Then finally made it to the show in Petaluma. Here are some photos of some radio cars down there. Two WC16's and two WC25's:

CC_196.JPG

CC_208.JPG

I finally made a template to cut the floor board front mat:

CC_03105.JPG

Ralphie helped out a bit...at least he thought so:

CC_01103.JPG

Afterwards, he was a little tired:

CC_02105.JPG

CC_0498.JPG

CC_0777.JPG

There was a big car show in the area and with it there were about 15 other small shows leading up to the big show with over 2000 cars. I went to the one at Shasta Dam:

CC_02106.JPG

They let us cruise across the dam:

CC_0685.JPG

CC_0596.JPG

CC_0778.JPG

Parting shot of the three Shastas. Shasta Dam, Lake Shasta and Mount Shasta at about 14,000' elevation in the background:

CC_0866.JPG

Even with all the hot rods there. I won a major award...if you saw a Christmas Story you know what I mean. Only about 60-70 cars there, but everyone liked the command car:

CC_03106.JPG

Here's a little video of the ride across the dam:

Then I finally got back to the radio cabinet radio installation. I found a BC-312 down at Petaluma. It was the receiver I have been looking for. Had to take it apart to mount the L brackets that I needed to make:

CC_42.JPG