Restoration of my 1941 Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car

zepher11

Hello Zepher11,

been away from USMF for a while, I can see that you're still working wonders B)

Took me some time to read the steps I missed ... as for the jeep, this thread is no less than a fully documented restoration manual, amazing !!

Best regards, E

• 3 weeks later...

I like your line "It just a matter of getting out there and giving it a go. Eventually one can figure it out". Sounds like it should be on a fortune cookie or t-shirt.

Mikie

My old Grandpa Dominic totally lived by that idea. He was an amazing self-taught woodworker, electronics tech and all-around handyman. Cleaning out his basement when he passed away many years ago, we just could not believe the huge number of tools etc he had in his workshop. Many were very old but brand new, never used. We had no idea what half of them were. Sadly, his skills were not handed down to me. If I said I was all thumbs, I'd be giving myself an undeserved compliment. That's a lot of the appeal of following Zepher's progress on the command car.

Mikie

Thank's mikie! Like a lot of people say: One can never have enough tools! I always struggle when I need a specific tool for a job I will never do again. I have to weigh the cost of the tool vs. having someone else do it. It's much easier when I know I will use the tool more in the future... :)

Hello Zepher11,

been away from USMF for a while, I can see that you're still working wonders B)

Took me some time to read the steps I missed ... as for the jeep, this thread is no less than a fully documented restoration manual, amazing !!

Best regards, E

Thank you E! I didn't realize that it's been a while since I have posted. Had a couple days off before Christmas, so I had to decide to either go shopping or work in the garage. Well, it wasn't much of a decision....

Finalized the seat installation. Not a lot of trunk space left now that the rear seat is put back in and pushed all the way back to accommodate the radio box:

CC_0936.JPG

I have a copy of plans for the CH60 radio cabinet that I wish to replicate. I have decided to have a one made locally. I just can not bend nor shear that thick of metal easily, so I have farmed it out.

In the meantime, I have cleaned up and repaired the windsheild frame. It had a lot of rust holes in it, but fixed all that and had a window installed. Next was figuring out the rubber seal. I had an original that I had bought, but it ended up being too brittle, so I found some other rubber I had and basically had to make four separate runs and then glued the corners with that Loctite gel super glue. That stuff seems to work pretty good:

CC_0180.JPG

CC_0475.JPG

CC_0664.JPG

Then I thought I better see if the top bows fit. I was lucky in that they fit pretty good:

CC_0760.JPG

I wanted to make sure I could get the center pins to fit in the cast pieces and that I could tighten the handles:

CC_0474.JPG

Not too bad on the drivers side:

CC_0850.JPG

However, the pin was bent just a tad on the passenger side, so I thought I would just barely bend it back every soooo slightly...snapped right off! Oh well, time to weld:

CC_0937.JPG

All welded now and fits great:

CC_1512.JPG

Also started to fit the reproduction distributor shielding cover and making the coil shielding wires for the ground wire and the coil to distributor lead:

CC_0938.JPG

I have fired up the engine and it runs really well. Actually took it out for a spin around the block, but there were a few issues. I noticed the distributor wobbled a bit, and a strange noise was coming from the generator.

Here's a little blurry video of the first 21 foot drive out and into the garage:

Anyway, I had to yank the NOS generator out as the fan pulley was loose causing the odd noise. It was a bit of a defect on the shaft that didn't allow it to seat. Fixed that:

CC_1312.JPG

The issues with the distributor was a little different. I learned that it is possible to fit an incorrect oil pump that doesn't quite fit the distributor slot. In this engine application the oil pump drives the distributor. Oil pump:

CC_0761.JPG

Distributor shaft:

CC_0665.JPG

Anyway, verified that the oil pump was okay after pulling. It was my NOS distributor. The shaft was bent. Moral of the story...check the distributor shaft first. It is fairly easy to remove and replace vs. the oil pump. Anyway, I mounted the distributor in the vice and used my dial indicator and slowly coaxed the shaft into alignment. Not perfect, but a lot better. Hopefully, that will work. It will be a while before I find out as I am rebuilding the coil shielding box.

While I was goofing off with that, I needed to make a plate for the hole in the floor board. More up to my skill level. A square plate:

CC_0182.JPG

Although I have an original coil box, I do not have a top and bottom lid, so I had to make these as 1941 appears to be out of stock:

CC_0381.JPG

CC_0573.JPG

CC_0666.JPG

CC_0852.JPG

CC_0939.JPG

CC_0762.JPG

The lids didn't turn out too bad. Now I need to figure out how to fix the dents in the box as it is rather beat up, and I just can have that... It appears to be made of brass with a wash of tin over it. Not sure how to proceed in repairing this at the moment.

In the one photo above, I was thinking about making my own data plates. Someone sent me this photo of an original. I'm now looking to see if I can find someone to make two of these:

CC_1126.JPG

Here are the dents in the box that I need to work on:

CC_1513.JPG

Stuffed the repaired genny and distributor back in there. I also wrinkle painted my fake shielding box on the genny while it was out for service:

CC_1416.JPG

I also have started to rebuild the shielded spark plug wires. Lots of parts vs. the basic spark plug wire:

CC_0183.JPG

CC_0382.JPG

CC_0283.JPG

All rebuilt now and ready for installation once I can figure out the coil box dilemma:

CC_0477.JPG

Also have aluminized the distributor cover and made a fake data plate for it as well. Not quite done with it:

CC_0574.JPG

Still more work to do, but getting a few things completed here and there...

Zeph,

Wonderful updates! You never cease to amaze me. The video is great with the Christmas music in the background. However, where were the dogs? They should have been in the passenger seat! :lol:

I know what you mean about working on the car takes precedence over shopping! Nothing quite as fun as working on a car or plane!

...Kat

Hi Kat,

Ralphie likes to jump in and out of the command car. It's a pretty good jump. However, it's tough to get a clear photo of him not moving, but I made him sit to see if I could get one a couple weeks ago. He isn't too happy about sitting still:

Ralph_WC16.JPG

All three dogs did get to go to the local lighted Christmas parade. They enjoyed it:

Lighted_Parade_01.JPG

...What Kat said for me too! Amazing work on the command car. I'd like to know what makes Ralphie that way. With me it's just the opposite. I can't seem to get moving! best wishes for the New Year!

Mikie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Zeph,

Any updates? I am having withdrawal symptoms from seeing your work! :)

...Kat

Hi Kat,

I guess I have been goofing off too much again. I have worked more on the coil box, and I then installed everything which was quite a chore connecting all of the wire boots inside the distributor shielding box, etc... Well, after all that I couldn't get it started! Same problem I had when I first tried to start the engine originally and couldn't until one day it just started. Had not idea what had changed that allowed it to start. This second time after about week or so of taking everything apart and checking, I just happened to notice a small wire inside my NOS distributor that had the insulation rubbed off. The insulation is basically copper colored. I didn't notice that it was exposed bare wire. I had unwrapped the distributor from cosmoline and thought it looked new inside...nope. It must have been going to ground each time I put the distributor cap on. Then one day I must have put it back, for like the 100th time, and it started. It had been fine until I took everything apart to install all of the shielding equipment. I fixed the wire and installed temporary spark plug cables and it started right up! What a time waster that was. Nice to have it corrected now. The coil box is still off as I am having some brass radio shielding data tag reproduced like the originals. I scrapped the idea of making the fake ones.

Putting together the coil box:

CC_0383.JPG

Made a little bracket to hold the coil. It was originally to one side and the radio suppression equipment was on the other side. I'm just mounting the coil in the center as the suppression equipment was beyond repair and isn't needed:

CC_0575.JPG

There was a lot of dents in the coil box. I just couldn't stand it, so I applied heat and beat it out from the inside and then used a file to shave it back into shape:

CC_0667.JPG

CC_0763.JPG

Since it is brass with tinning over it, I found some paint that looked like the tinning. Turned out okay. Not the best, but I can live with it now:

CC_0940.JPG

CC_1029.JPG

Photo of the spark plug wire shielding. One can see that installing the spark plug wire connectors inside the distributor shielding is sort of like building a ship in a bottle. It was time consuming, so that is why I really didn't want to take it all apart again to remove the distributor to fix the wire but had to:

CC_0853.JPG

Closer photo:

CC_1313.JPG

CC_1417.JPG

Photo of the offending wire:

CC_0285.JPG

In this application, the distributor has to be pulled apart to get to the screws:

CC_0384.JPG

CC_0479.JPG

The patient survived:

CC_0668.JPG

Also moved forward with the radio cabinet:

CC_0185.JPG

This is what I am trying to replicate to some degree:

Command_Car_Radio_05.jpg

Made the feet for it as well to look original:

CC_0187.JPG

CC_0386.JPG

CC_0287.JPG

Worked on mounting the trailer box. This reduces 12 volt to 6 volt for the trailers which are all 6 volt. Had to find a mounting spot, so I used the space behind the bumperette. Wires into the box come from the headlight switch. Wires out go to the trailer receptacle that accepts the trailer plug:

CC_0286.JPG

CC_0480.JPG

CC_0577.JPG

Took some times to check door fit. I received a quote to sew up four new doors at $4,250!! Well, let's just say for that kind of dough I learn to do it myself, so I am going down that path now:

CC_1314.JPG

Now that the radio box is on its way to getting completed, I thought it was a good time to give the original radio junction box a little TLC. It looked like it had been through, well, a war:

CC_0764.JPG

CC_0578.JPG

First had to fix a bit of a nip some kind sole did to make it lighter for some reason:

CC_0669.JPG

Had to use a few chunks of 14 gauge:

CC_0765.JPG

The rest was basic. Finished welding, a little grinding and then knock out a large hole for the radio power cable conduit::

CC_0855.JPG

CC_0942.JPG

Had to make my own lid, however as I didn't have one:

CC_1030.JPG

Hardest part is drilling the holes to match the captive nuts on the box:

CC_1127.JPG

Started priming and then realized I needed to make some slugs like the originals:

CC_1315.JPG

Tried to weld and grind them down like the originals would have been:

CC_1418.JPG

All painted:

CC_1514.JPG

We've had some epic rain up here. In fact, the dam about an hour south of us was about to burst this week. The state is sidetracked with paying full monte for...never mind. Anyway, California is not interested in existing infrastructure, so just let everything go downhill. Thankfully, since we are drowning up here, they extended the emergency drought restrictions last week for another 270 days. Sorry got a bit off topic.

Anyway, sun came out and I had the opportunity to blast my top bows and the radio conduit:

CC_0188.JPG

CC_0288.JPG

CC_0387.JPG

I found some galvanized paint and painted the radio conduit:

CC_0580.JPG

CC_0670.JPG

Installed. Carries the power cables from the battery box to the junction box:

CC_0766.JPG

CC_0856.JPG

Put together and Installed the original style safety straps:

CC_0290.JPG

CC_0189.JPG

CC_0389.JPG

Last weekend I tried my hand at making an antenna mount I saw in a period photo. Why? I have no idea. Somebody stop me :rolleyes: :

CC_0190.JPG

CC_0291.JPG

CC_0390.JPG

CC_0483.JPG

CC_0581.JPG

CC_0767.JPG

Here's what I was trying to replicate:

Command_Car_Radio_04-1.jpg

Now I need to finish up and get it mounted and make sure the doors still fit. I have ordered a top back in December. Should have it in a few months. I also have pulled a few of the gauges and fuel tank sender to figure out why they don't work. Very time consuming, but trying to get all of the electronics to work.

Zeph,

You made my day! I took my time looking thru each picture and now want to go back and look again!

Thanks so much for the updates. I love to watch your work.....Kat

Yeah, you've been goofing off for sure. Well, let us know when you actually get around to doing some work on the CC. As always, I'm totally impressed by your skills and inventiveness!

With all the rain lately, maybe your next project should be a DUKW.

Mikie

Man, oh man!

This, is humbling.

Words fail me.

I appreciate the comments!

Zeph,

You made my day! I took my time looking thru each picture and now want to go back and look again!

Thanks so much for the updates. I love to watch your work.....Kat

Thank you Kat. Hopefully, one day I can actually get this thing completed. I'm approaching two years since I started in March, so I'm ready to get going on another project now.

Yeah, you've been goofing off for sure. Well, let us know when you actually get around to doing some work on the CC. As always, I'm totally impressed by your skills and inventiveness!

With all the rain lately, maybe your next project should be a DUKW.

Mikie

lol...Thanks Mikie. I headed down to a board meeting in Santa Cruz last week and was stuck due to the mud slides on HWY 17. It was nice to get out of there, but had to go south to go north. A DUKW would come in handy right about now. Hope you're staying dry down there.

Zeph, I just bought a WC52 and you have given me the courage to start tearing into it and restoring it. I don't have near the amount of work you did as it is in fairly good condition, but I bought a set of map table rails and plan on blasting them and painting them to install soon. Very nice restoration you have done, I wish I had a tenth of the skill you do.

• 2 weeks later...
RustyCanteen

Zeph,

Your work is a true inspiration! You have the ingenuity as well as the knowledge and desire to make it happen! Don't have the part? Make it! Fantastic work, keep it up!

RC

Thanks everyone. Didn't realize that it has been some time since the last post. I decided to go all the way with the radio cabinet, so I'm working on making the doors and determining how the original hinge was secured. I bought a couple hinges and then realized the were different widths. Same part numbers. Went back and all the hinges are just a little different in width:

CC_0857.JPG

Finally found the right combination:

CC_1516.JPG

Then I figured I better get the shock mounts situated for the radios. However, I found out my BC-348 receiver is too large for the cabinet. I really need a BC-312. I do have a BC-342 that is similar in size to the BC-312 receiver, but no shock mount. I will need to make one. I also leaned that there is an upper shock mount that mounts to the top of the transmitter and the receiver:

CC_1420.JPG

Here's a vintage photo where one can see the top shock mount bolted to the back of the cabinet.. Looks like a rubber disc with a 1/4" threaded rod to keep the unit from tipping:

Command_Car_Radio_10.JPG

I gathered some things I had lying around to see if I could make one:

CC_0192.JPG

CC_0293.JPG

CC_0392.JPG

CC_0485.JPG

Then after all that, I found what I believe to be an original. I was surprised how close the were after I received the original:

CC_0196.JPG

The shock mounts were in the original packages from the 50's I believe:

CC_0396.JPG

I also had to search far and wide for some hasp latches that had the slot left to right vs. up and down. No stores around here carried the left to right type. Thank you internet:

CC_0583.JPG

Also, after many attempts I finally have a working fuel gauge. Found out that my 1/2 ton Dodge WC with the civilian gauges had a two wire sending unit vs. a single wire like all the others. Found some old two post fuel sending units that I had to send out to get rebuilt. Finally received them back and had to do the switcheroo and remove the fuel sending unit I thought was correct to the tune of $150 and replace with the rebuilt two post unit. Had to drop the tank again:

CC_0193.JPG

Had to run a second wire from the fuel tank up to the fuel gauge. I think I recall the wiring harness people asking if it was a one wire or two wire fuel tank system. I must have said one...it's kinda foggy, but anyway I learned a lot:

CC_0294.JPG

New rebuilt unit going in. The holes didn't actually line up, so had to modify before it would fit. Go figure:

CC_0393.JPG

Reintroduced some fuel to the tank and damn! The fuel gauge actually works! I was stoked to say the least. Probably the only half-ton Dodge WC with a working fuel gauge:

CC_0486.JPG

In the meantime I received my canvas top that I ordered in the first week of December. The could put my window in as the screws were too short. I had to make some up for the correct length and install myself:

CC_0673.JPG

CC_0769.JPG

I had to drill and install all of the lift-the-dot studs in the header:

CC_0295.JPG

Then when I went to the rear the top was about two to three inches short! Talk about stress. I had heard that installing the canvas top in the sun loosend things up. Check the forecast and two week of rain shown. Instructions said install immediately as the top will shrink. Hmmmmm:

CC_0394.JPG

What the top looks like after I had it up on top:

CC_0585.JPG