Restoration of my 1941 Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car

zepher11

Zeph,

Great updates! Learning as you go along probably makes it much more interesting! I do understand about brute force you mentioned earlier. We had to bend a piece of thick sheet metal. It took 3 of us and a large fulcrum!

....Kat

Hi Kat,

Yes, it really does make it interesting. However, slows me down a bit sometimes, but still enjoyable.

Back at it today. A whole lotta hole punching going on. I'm starting to notice people wince when I shake hands with them now :lol: :

CC_2.JPG
CC_3.JPG
CC_4.JPG
Starting the task of welding the replacement floor in. Quite tedious and time consuming as I can only weld an inch here and an inch there to prevent the metal from warping:
CC_0119.JPG
CC_0218.JPG
Without a helper, I had to make a fulcrum arrangement to press the floor nice and tight to the hat channels underneath. Paint can filled with concrete, and that chunk or railroad track always seems to come in handy:
CC_0317.JPG
A little extra umfff here. Had to add a full paint can to the arrangement:
CC_0417.JPG
My solution to stiffening the floor. 1/2" angle iron in the same orientation as the beads in the original floor:
CC_0120.JPG
CC_0219.JPG
Let's just say that the floor is nice and solid now vs. what it was...and probably what it was from the factory. The stiffeners worked really well:
CC_0418.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it is official. I'm all done with the rust repair, and I am now ready to take the body in to be sandblasted. I'm sure some other little rust areas will pop up after the sandblasting, but I think I have tackled the majority at this point.
The other day I removed what I hope to be the last hat channel to be replaced. Now I need to fit in the replacement:
CC_0220.JPG
Also, punched the hole for the radio conduit in the floor:
CC_0121.JPG

Yesterday I finished off hat channel:
CC_0122.JPG
I also filled in the holes in the body. Cut a little disc for the larger hole. All of the others were small enough to just weld close with the mig:
CC_0221.JPG
Just left the one original antenna hole. Still need to figure out a mount:
CC_0319.JPG
Also had to fill in the other side where the 1/4" metal plate is located as well as finish off the body and hat channel holes:
CC_0420.JPG
The last rust repair is where the front body mounts are located. Both were a little suspect:
CC_0519.JPG
CC_0619.JPG
I also decided to fit carriage bolts for the two jerrycan holders. They were likely through bolted with the bolt and nut protruding into the passenger area. I just welded the carriage bolts and cut the bolts on the outside to allow for the mounting of the holders:
CC_0717.JPG
Now I just a little break in the rain...

As someone who's done a body off restoration of a WC56, all I can say is WOW!!

Excellent restoration, you are talented for sure

Thank you. I appreciate the kind comments. A lot of it is just making yourself get out there and do something. Over time it adds to the knowledge base.

Charlieb, if you have photos of your WC56 project feel free to post a few here. Would love to see it.

Regards,

Zeph

Zeph,

I love to watch your progress. It is looking really nice!

Do the dogs give their approval? :)

...Kat

Hi Kat,

Thanks! Yes, the dogs give two paws up. B)

Looking forward to taking them for a ride in the future.

Zeph

• 2 weeks later...

I scored a BC-191 transmitter and tuner for the radio display. Held my breath as it was shipped to me, but arrived safe and sound:

CC_0320.JPG

CC_0421.JPG

CC_0520.JPG

The tuner has a Serviceable Par Tag dated September 1944, so the warranty should be okay:

CC_0620.JPG

Here's the whole set:

CC_0718.JPG

Also started on reconditioning the fuel tank:

CC_0124.JPG

The bottom was pretty beat up:

CC_0223.JPG

CC_0422.JPG

Cut some access holes to beat the dents out and recover the inside ring that that sending unit attaches. All of the screws were broke off and needed to be removed. Did that:

CC_0719.JPG

After a bit of hammering from the inside, it turned out pretty decent:

CC_0816.JPG

Test fit the tank as I had to make up some fuel tank straps and make sure the fit:

CC_0125.JPG

CC_0224.JPG

CC_0322.JPG

CC_0423.JPG

Stated fitting the fuel and brake lines as well:

CC_0522.JPG

Need to dig out the wiring harness and start fitting that too.

Thanks for sharing, Zeph!!

Very relaxing to scroll through your posts and watching the vehicle regaining its former beauty step by step.

Thank you Sjef. Yes, slowly but surely it is coming together.

Zeph,

The gas tank looks amazing. I am glad the radio items arrived safe and sound. That thing looks big!

...Kat

Thanks Kat! The radio is pretty large and really heavy.

I've been falling behind of late as I have been working on the top bows for my WC52 and yard work. The weather has been heating up, so need to keep up. I blasted some parts the other day:

CC_0625.JPG

With the temps in the 80's it was a good time to paint and bake in the sun:

WC_52_01.JPG

And I spent a bit of money having the original T211 engine dismantled from the ball of rust it was. However, after all that it appears that it is marginal for rebuild due to the rust. Unfortunately, someone had cut the head bolts off and then removed a few plugs and it probably sat outside for 40 years. One can see the deep rust on the deck as well as the cylinder walls:

T211_01.JPG

T211_03.JPG

Three sleeves at a minimum maybe six at $150 each. Also, the rust is so deep that the block would need to be surface...a lot. This would require the pistons to then be surfaced as well to prevent them from interfering. Plus the rods are really rust pitted and would need to be replace. With all that, I had to call a time of death and move on to the replacement engine. Virtually the same engine without the stamping of T211 on it, but in much better shape:

CC_0129.JPG

CC_0228.JPG

This is a great thread to keep coming back and reading! Always love the updates, but its enjoyable to just go back and reread about your restoration.

One question about the original engine. Is there still a market for it even with all of the pitting? Would someone buy it to rebuild and could it be cost effective for them? Or do you keep it since it is original to the vehicle?

This is a great thread to keep coming back and reading! Always love the updates, but its enjoyable to just go back and reread about your restoration.

One question about the original engine. Is there still a market for it even with all of the pitting? Would someone buy it to rebuild and could it be cost effective for them? Or do you keep it since it is original to the vehicle?

Thanks! Good question on the engine. The engine shop said it could be done, and it was my call. However, it would be very expensive with inserting the piston bore sleeves, shaving all the pistons, locating new piston rods and then crossing ones fingers that shaving off 1/8" to 3/16" of the block deck due to the deep pits doesn't make it too thin and cause issues down the road. Might be close to $3,000 or more to get 'er done. I just wish to be a little more practical. If I didn't have a readily available replacement engine in such good condition, I would have gave it very serious consideration.

I did bring the original block home and will hold onto it for the command car in case the next owner really absolutely needs to have it someday. I'm actually thinking about making some kind of table out of it, since it will be residing in the garage for some time...without causing further damage of course. :)

I did bring the original block home and will hold onto it for the command car in case the next owner really absolutely needs to have it someday. I'm actually thinking about making some kind of table out of it, since it will be residing in the garage for some time...without causing further damage of course. :)

Great idea! I think you should do it and post pictures. :)

I agree with Beast. Your restorations are one of my favorite threads on the forum.

...Kat

Thanks! Good question on the engine. The engine shop said it could be done, and it was my call. However, it would be very expensive with inserting the piston bore sleeves, shaving all the pistons, locating new piston rods and then crossing ones fingers that shaving off 1/8" to 3/16" of the block deck due to the deep pits doesn't make it too thin and cause issues down the road. Might be close to $3,000 or more to get 'er done. I just wish to be a little more practical. If I didn't have a readily available replacement engine in such good condition, I would have gave it very serious consideration.

I like the table idea! Lots of good decorative uses for an engine. Store your favorite beverages in each of the cylinders using the crankshaft to bring the cans up out of each cylinder. You can have the oil pan pivot to hold your favorite snacks.

Great idea! I think you should do it and post pictures. :)

I agree with Beast. Your restorations are one of my favorite threads on the forum.

...Kat

Well Kat, you know I don't really like to post photos. :lol:

I like the table idea! Lots of good decorative uses for an engine. Store your favorite beverages in each of the cylinders using the crankshaft to bring the cans up out of each cylinder. You can have the oil pan pivot to hold your favorite snacks.

I think I will have to do it without the oil pan. It was completely rusted through on the bottom. Evidently, it had had a lot of rats living in it at one time. The engine shop guy took a photo of it...I will need remember to get a copy of that. I did google "engine block" tables. I saw one with wine bottles in the cylinders. Scotch bottles would be better I think. Full, that is...

• 4 weeks later...

Zeph,

Any updates? I am having withdrawal symptoms!

PS. How are your 4 legged helpers doing?

....Kat

Hi Kat,

The dogs are well. Gracie's 8th birthday yesterday. I took her through the drive thru at McDonald's yesterday and I bought her a sausage and egg McMuffin. Well, we came home and when I opened the wrapper it was only the English muffin with no sausage nor egg. Boy, was she disappointed. I guess what they say about drive thru is true.

I have worked a little on the CC. I have mopped up the fuel tank project. I ended up having to cut some more access holes as the fuel pick up tube was clogged. I had to melt the solder out and I made a new tube from copper and soldered it back in there:

CC_0229.JPG

I found I had two more 1/2 ton fuel tanks, but the pick up tubes were clogged in them as well, so I just continued on:

CC_0131.JPG

CC_0527.JPG

CC_0626.JPG

I then used a seal kit and treated the inside of the tank:

CC_0528.JPG

I also scored a 12 volt generator. I cleaned it up a bit. The thing is huge and weighs 65lbs:

CC_0627.JPG

Here it is next to an NOS 6 volt generator. I used to think the 6 volt generator was heavy. Not now:

CC_0819.JPG

Continued with the wiring and brake lines:

CC_0915.JPG

CC_156.JPG

CC_148.JPG

I really want to finish up the body, but it has really been raining here, so I can't get it to the sandblaster yet. I think I originally took my engine to the engine shop in November. They are still fumbling around and haven't started any work on it yet. Glad I figured it would take six months to get it done...I hope. Close to five months already, so I change that to eight months!

I finally received all the canvas for my WC52, built the top bows and installed it. Here is a little 30 second video of me and Ralph cruising in it near our place:

Zeph,

Great updates! If I remember from your jeep restoration, the wiring is a very tedious and LONG process! Good luck! Very interesting about treating the inside of the tank!

Bless Gracie's furry little heart! I can't believe they left everything out of her breakfast english muffin! I hope you gave her another treat for her birthday!

The video didn't show up in your post. I can't see it.

...Kat

Zeph,

Great updates! If I remember from your jeep restoration, the wiring is a very tedious and LONG process! Good luck! Very interesting about treating the inside of the tank!

Bless Gracie's furry little heart! I can't believe they left everything out of her breakfast english muffin! I hope you gave her another treat for her birthday!

The video didn't show up in your post. I can't see it.

...Kat

Hmmm...I thought I posted the video, but I must have zoned it. Here it is:

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to have found a place that helped me clean up the rust on the drums. They were really helpful. In the past, it has been like pulling teeth to get someone to turn these drums:

CC_0330.JPG

Cleaned the bearings, repacked and all new seals:

CC_0430.JPG

Brake lines and hoses are all installed. Brake pads adjusted as well. All I need is a bell housing so I can install the master cylinder:

CC_0331.JPG

Pulled out the 12 volt regulator for inspection and cleaning. One tab is broken off of the base. Pondering what to do there. It is like pot metal, so I need to devise a solution for the repair:

CC_0134.JPG

The internals look good. Not sure how to test, so just will need to cross my fingers and hope for the best:

CC_0233.JPG

Shot a little wrinkle paint on the cover after glass beading it:

CC_0431.JPG

CC_0530.JPG

Continued epic rains here, so can't quite get it together to get the body prepped and ready for primer and paint. Oh well, lots of little things to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much going on with the CC lately. Still trying to get a window to get the body to the sandblaster and back...just can't get that to happen. No progress on the engine either. Hopefully, there will be some movement there someday. I put together the handle setup on the transmission, and I was finally able to wrap the fuel tank up. Today I sandblasted, primed and painted it prior to installing:

CC_0628.JPG

CC_0136.JPG

CC_0235.JPG