Restoration of my 1941 Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car

zepher11

Okay, I will go ahead and start a restoration thread for the 1941 Dodge Radio Command Car. It's actually just as fun posting photos and might keep me motivated.

Zeph, congratulations on starting a new project! This thread was one of my favorites to read, and although the jeep is now done I look forward to your new project updates.

Thank you for taking the time to share your projects with us.

RC

Appreciate it RC!

Nice one Zeph! Did you get all of the parts and the small wheels too?

HI Johan,

I think I have three sets of half ton wheels. This project came with another four combat wheels in addition to the four that are on it. I really need to sell some combat wheels. They are really stacking up and looks like I'm hoarding them!

I liked this project as the running gear is basically complete. The PO already took care of that. Just a little clean up. It came with three transfer cases...one is an NOS case supposedly. A nice transmission in addition to another engine came with it as well. That is the original T211 that is in it.

A couple of radiators, two sets of front end sheet metal...a WC23 frame and then a lot of new parts that the PO has already purchase including a full set of brake and fuel lines. It also came with NOS drive lines and axles still in the cosmoline. That looks like a project in and of itself!

The best thing is that it came with the hard to find NOS gauges specific to the Radio Command Car plus a couple of original civilian gauges.. There were only 1,284 of the WC16 made:

CC_12.JPG

DPCD_Radiator_06.JPG

The originals look like this:

CC_11.JPG

Here are the original civilian gauges:

Doc_CC_Pics_06.JPG

I liked this project from the moment I saw it as it has all the original little parts still attached like the door catches and windshield components. It even had a bit of the front seat frame left:

Doc_CC_Pics_27.JPG

Another project! I LOVED watching your last one progress. I am really looking forward to this one. Are the dogs ready to help you? What do they think of the new project? :D

...Kat

Another project! I LOVED watching your last one progress. I am really looking forward to this one. Are the dogs ready to help you? What do they think of the new project? :D

...Kat

Hi Kat,

George and Gracie give it two paws up! :lol:

I think they will really like riding around in this one due to its "commanding" view.

Zeph

(Getting the popcorn out to watch this progress) ;)

That command car looks to be in a decent condition, or am I wrong?

Erwin

I cant wait to see this one. It looks like a lot of work but I am sure you will manage to get it beck to how it was 70 years ago.

Dave

(Getting the popcorn out to watch this progress) ;)

That command car looks to be in a decent condition, or am I wrong?

Erwin

I think it is in pretty good shape for having sat out in the weather all of these years. The floor panel is rusted through in a number of spots, and there are a number of rusted out hat channels and holes around the wheel wells. The outward appearing body is in really nice shape. The tailgate and rear quarters are a little beat up, but not over intimidating at all. Most of the repair will be underneath and remain unseen once complete. Takes the pressure off a bit. Patching the outside body panels take a little more work for me.

I spent some time yesterday removing rusted bolts. It is slow going. I spent at least four hours trying to remove the steering wheel and headlight switch. Still haven't removed them yet. Heat, ice water, PB blaster...they seem to be immune at the moment. I'm going in again today to see if I can get the upper hand. We'll see.

Zeph

I cant wait to see this one. It looks like a lot of work but I am sure you will manage to get it beck to how it was 70 years ago.

Dave

Hi Dave, I will be doing my best!

Cheers,

Zeph

The Meatcan

Another fun project for us all to follow!

Love how your new building turned out; fantastic!

Aren't you afraid of that first big oil stain on all that glorious new concrete though? :lol:

Terry

Another fun project for us all to follow!

Love how your new building turned out; fantastic!

Aren't you afraid of that first big oil stain on all that glorious new concrete though? :lol:

Terry

Hi Terry,

I actually was worried about the concrete in the garage and was thinking of painted it with epoxy, or obtaining some type of mat to protect the floors. In the end, I figured that it is a garage after all and I do use it. If I painted it, I probably would worry about that as well. Now I am ready to get to staining!

A little debris, but no leakage yet:

CC24.JPG

CC27.JPG

Finally removed the headlight switch. I can't believe how rusted solid most everything is. The one above is an NOS one that I have. looks a lot nicer:

CC20.JPG

I worked on the steering wheel removal again this morning. I let it soak over night in PB Blaster, but that didn't seem to help. Heated it up some more with no luck. It was on fire pretty good there for a while. It finally crumpled under the pressure and I then just hack sawed it off. Should have done that in the first place:

CC21.JPG

CC22.JPG

A couple of the original wood blocking for the running board supports were still intact. A little moss was growing in there as well. I take it that picking this up in Mount Shasta, CA is the reason there are no spider webs...and spiders. Anything around here would be covered with webs, and there would be Black Widow spiders in every nook and cranny. I think it was like 90 degrees today, so I can see why the spiders like it here in the flat lands:

CC25.JPG

CC26.JPG

I also believe that I now have removed all of the body bolts, so the body is ready to be separated from the frame. How that will happen is still up in the air... :mellow:

George and Gracie give it two paws up! :lol:

I am glad they approve! I am sure they will love riding in this one. Looks like you are already making great progress.

Thanks for the updates...Kat

If you get to worried about the floor,run down to a farm store and pick up some horse stall mats.Nice thick rubber? Usually not to

expensive. I use them under my MC lifts.

Another great project.

Thanks!

Bob

I can't wait to see this coming together; but even the tear down stage is fun.

RC

Tear down is fun, but it is really tough getting some of the screws and bolts broken loose. Rust is not my friend!

If you get to worried about the floor,run down to a farm store and pick up some horse stall mats.Nice thick rubber? Usually not to

expensive. I use them under my MC lifts.

Another great project.

Thanks!

Bob

You know, someone else mentioned these type of mats to me for in front of the workbench. Since I live in a cow town with a number of ranch stores, one would think I could track on down! Thanks Bob!

While I am working on a plan to remove the body from the frame, I am removing a few things here and there. I removed the map table rails.. I think all of the Dodges had a map table under the glove box. One can see that the original fire extinguisher mount is still intact:

CC_021.JPG

Of course, I am under the watchful eye of Gracie at all times:

CC_011.JPG

Well, I took a break from the Command Car today. Instead I worked on replacing the brake shoes and adding an original sloped master cylinder to the WC54. A lot of parades this month, and since the brakes were getting a little sketchy, I thought I would get them in shape. I cleaned and honed the wheel cylinders as well...they needed it. Hopefully, she will be like brand new when I get done:

4-4-2015_01.JPG

That is a very nice ambulance! I remember when you posted pictures when you were painting it. What kind of parades will there be this month?

...Kat

That is a very nice ambulance! I remember when you posted pictures when you were painting it. What kind of parades will there be this month?

...Kat

Hi Kat,

There are four parades this month in our area. It is the wild west, so three of the parades involve Rodeos in three separate towns near me. The fourth is a parade celebrating the construction of Shasta Dam. The Dam was built during WWII. I actually just received some color photos of Shasta Dam under construction from a family friend. A couple had GI's pulling guard duty. I will see if I can post them tomorrow.

Thanks,

Zeph

Do you remember what I told you about your building? It's coming true isn't it?

Oh yeah, I remember. :dry:

See you down at Tower Park in a few weeks?

How does one with military vehicles get involved with parades? Do you contact VFWs, local chamber of commerce, etc?