Early WW2 grenade color ?

Khe Sanh68

And, I'm not sure if all the yellow's were the same. The two early yellow grenades I have are not a bright canary yellow. They have a very slight blush, ie; orange tint. They are both gloss.

The closest commercially available color is Highway Yellow (I think by Rustoleum). Otherwise you can get insignia yellow enamel paint from the hobby shop, which is what I personally prefer.

Coconut Harry

vet purchase served with 507th PIR sent hone in 1943

kept in original container

Very nice, A great Representative example Of an early yellow Friag.

I noticed a tiny hole at the bottom of the what looks like the orig igniter/Det... is that how this was inerted? through that a small hole? An M10? A1,A2, or M6 series....( Although I can't see TNT the container but may be on the other end?)

Best regards

Ron, you never fail to amaze me. Who the heck was putting away unused hand grenades in 1943?

Gil

He actually had two of these he sent home.He had multiples of everything.Two unit books, two mod 1918 trench knives, two M3/M6 trench knives, two M2 pocket knives.All unissued.Had a ton of photos too.There were pictures of them training in the sand hills of Nebraska as well.I have his chute canopy that he jumped into germany with.He had a couple neck ties and scarf made from a section and I have one of the scarfs.

These are two that I picked up along the way. The pictures were taken outside on a cloudy day. The color is definitely different by a shade or two. Not that it has anything to do with color but the round shouldered one has a recalled M10A1 fuse. I have and do take them both to be legit and original. So.....did the Army use different colors at different times?

post-3856-0-96324900-1427659413.jpg

post-3856-0-55187400-1427659415.jpg

Robinb posted an excellent yellow frag a few weeks back. The thread was hijacked and turned into an ordinance 101 thread... But it is also an excellent example of an un-touched frag. I believe he got it at a flea market from an old lady, so it is genuine un-touched.