Military Motorcycle Helmet II ( MMH II)

37thguy

OK thats it...I am to reading this or I will have to start looking for them. Mark good to see you back in the game. Larry can I get a copy of your research as well?

Bob

Bob, shoot me an email at [email protected] amd I will send you a pdf of the article.

Larry

The MMHII's were used 1980's and 1990's. The Army seems to have transitioned from motorcycles to more robust vehicles based on the old 'dune buggy' design. I think these were called 'Desert Patrol Vehicles' or something similar. I have a Gentex made DH-132DB helmet which was made specially for these vehicle driver's and gunner's. It is based more on the standard DH-132B cvc helmet rather than the MMHII. I think the last contract for MMHII's all went to USAF search & rescue forces and that was mid-90's if I recall. Not sure what the status of these specialty helmets and vehicles is now, does anyone know if any of the services still use dirt bikes or dune buggies?

Larry

Here's a picture from Desert Storm at the US Embassy when the Special Ops folks were getting ready to leave. It was taken on the third day after we captured Kuwait City.

post-11546-0-39407300-1427772646.jpg

The MMHII's were used 1980's and 1990's. The Army seems to have transitioned from motorcycles to more robust vehicles based on the old 'dune buggy' design. I think these were called 'Desert Patrol Vehicles' or something similar. I have a Gentex made DH-132DB helmet which was made specially for these vehicle driver's and gunner's. It is based more on the standard DH-132B cvc helmet rather than the MMHII. I think the last contract for MMHII's all went to USAF search & rescue forces and that was mid-90's if I recall. Not sure what the status of these specialty helmets and vehicles is now, does anyone know if any of the services still use dirt bikes or dune buggies?

Larry

Hey Larry, can you post a pic of your DH 132DB conversion? I'd like to see how close it is to the SOHAH helmets that were being converted from 132's by the SOF guys back then.

Thought I'd post a close up of the helmets in the picture of the Spec Ops in Kuwait. I'd be curious if they can be identified.

post-11546-0-41167900-1428104190.jpg

I had two of these, sold one to another member and kept one.

Matt, one of these is the one Mark has posted, I got it from you, he got it from me....hated to let it go, but other priorities made it necessary....it's a beauty though, there's no doubt about that! :)

Rick

Matt, one of these is the one Mark has posted, I got it from you, he got it from me....hated to let it go, but other priorities made it necessary....it's a beauty though, there's no doubt about that! :)

Rick

Matt,

I want to thank you, now more than ever, for being quick enough to think, "Hey, I'll take those off your hands"

Makes this one that more special now that I know its was about to be dropped in a dumpster. Whew! That was too close. :blink:

No problem, glad I could save them! As far as the helmets in post 36, they look like civilian black motorcycle helmets with NVG mounts attached the front. I can't make out the gold writing on the side.

Hey Larry, can you post a pic of your DH 132DB conversion? I'd like to see how close it is to the SOHAH helmets that were being converted from 132's by the SOF guys back then.

As soon as I can take some pic's I will post them.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...