Military Motorcycle Helmet II ( MMH II)

37thguy

This just arrived in the mail this morning. Purchased it from a member here. I have lusted (forgive me LORD) for one of these the minute I laid eyes on one here from sometime ago. Then this one appeared. Asked the owner if he'd sell. Of course the answer was NO. Patience pays once in awhile, and he contacted me with an offer. Long and the short is, it's MINE ALL MINE!!!!

These were of course worn by motorcycle riders, mostly Special Forces. Also worn by other ground troops.

Not much on these.

This is (so far) the center piece of my small, but growing collection of modern pots. I have NEVER seen one in any color ( made in Black, green, and later in Tan) for sale anywhere, and I've really searched.

Heres some pics from a Google search.

post-729-0-26213500-1427474419.png

Any info you can add or other pics would be great. I'd like to learn more about these.

****Also I'd like to find a printed manual, I have an on line one already****

Thanks for looking

-Mark

The Black is not Velcro as on the ACHs and TCHs, rather it is Moleskin to help with wear from goggles, face shields etc. This one also has the optional Active hearing so that while wearing it you can hear whats going on around you. Even amplifies sound.

Has anyone out there ever seen one of these....in any color or condition?

I have, I collect military motorcycle helmets. Shoot me a private email and I'll send you a pdf of an article I did on these. I do have an example of the original 'Safeguard' helmet which was a competitor of Gentex as well as one of the MMH, only about 20 of those made. The MMH and the MMHII were first made in OD green with no texturing. Then SOF ordered the MMII in black with a textured surface and then the Desert Tan MMHII. I have all of these as well as some earlier prototypes.

Larry

OK thats it...I am to reading this or I will have to start looking for them. Mark good to see you back in the game. Larry can I get a copy of your research as well?

Bob

When were these in use? I have pictures of Desert Storm that show Special Operations guys with helmets that look like these, but all in black.

Yep but just the common ones that I can afford. Army AHC and Marine LWH nothing more that that.

The MMHII's were used 1980's and 1990's. The Army seems to have transitioned from motorcycles to more robust vehicles based on the old 'dune buggy' design. I think these were called 'Desert Patrol Vehicles' or something similar. I have a Gentex made DH-132DB helmet which was made specially for these vehicle driver's and gunner's. It is based more on the standard DH-132B cvc helmet rather than the MMHII. I think the last contract for MMHII's all went to USAF search & rescue forces and that was mid-90's if I recall. Not sure what the status of these specialty helmets and vehicles is now, does anyone know if any of the services still use dirt bikes or dune buggies?

Larry