Old Marine - Old Soldier - Henry Kull

bobgee

This is a grouping I've had in my collection for about 12 years. It has several interesting collector twists & turns in it and while there is more than medals in the group, I thought it appropriate to post it here. Hope you enjoy it.

Harry Kull, who was born on Aug. 30, 1880 in WVa enlisted in the USMC to serve Four Years. He had been a farmer in Moundsville where he was born. He shipped out that day for recruit traing at League Island, PA that same date. On March 9, 1902 he arrived in Cavite, P.I. KULL_USMC_PI_Photo.JPG The original photo in the group is title on the reverse, " The Detachment of Marines stationed at Rosario, P>I 1902" All men in the photo are named on reverse but not in a way as to determine who is who. The Det. C.O. is Capt A. J. Mathews. He spent about a year in the P.I. and returned to Mare Island, CA where he finished his enlistment and was discharged on Nov.8, 1905 with his character noted as "Excellent". In accordance with the regulations of the day, he did not receive a Good Conduct Medal at that time as he had not re-enlisted.

He returned to WVa and on April 22, 1906 he enlisted in the U.S. Army for 3 years. Maybe after having traveled the world he found the farm a bit tame. He completed army recruit traing and was assigned to the 10th Infantry Regt. at at Fort Lawton, WA and subsequently served in Co. D, 10th Infantry, Fort Gibbon, Alaska Territory. Kull_USA_Alaska_photo.JPG The legend on on the original photo shows " Co D. 10th U.S. Infantry, Fort Gibbon, Alaska, 1907" The photographer is "Huey, Nome". He was promoted to Corporal in Alaska. While in the U.S. Army he was authorized Philippine Campaign Badge and on Feb 8, 1909 awarded Badge No. 14602 Kull_USMC_1.JPGfor his service with "Co. "H", 1st Batt. U.s. Marines, May 9, 1902 to March 5, 1903". I have a copy of the Medal authorization and the issue document, as well. He then took his discharge, Expiration of Enlistment, on April 21, 1909 at Fort Benj. Harrison, Ind. The groups includes his khaki M1902 tunic with britches and all buttons & insignia. the tunic is quite nice; the pants having been well-worn. IMG_0242.jpgIMG_0243.jpg

His early U,S, Army Dog Tag is present and I believe is the First Type to be used. A bit smaller than the WWI variety. Kull_USMC_2.JPG

After several months as a civilian, on June 28, 1909 he re-enlisted into the Marine Corps once again at Indianapolis and was immediately retained and assigned to recruiting there. As he had now re-enlisted into the Marine Corps, he was awarded Good Conduct Medal No. 1220, 1st Enlistment, Nov. 8, 1905, on Aug 20, 1909. Kull_USMC_GCM_3.JPGHe wore the stripes of a Recruiting Corporal and later a Sgt while there but lost them without fault when he was transferred to MB, Navy Yard, Phialdelphia in May 1911. He then transferred to the Prison Ship U.S.S. Southery at Portsmouth, NH in June 1911. On June 27, 1913 he was again discharged and was awarded a bar to his Good Conduct Medal for his third Enlistment, the regulations having changed. No record has been to indicate that during his 2nd USMC enlistment that he received a USMC type Philippine Campaign medal. No record of any further military service for Harry Kull of WVa is known. Hope you found this tale interesting. Semper Fi.....Bobgee

That's a very early, low number Marine Good Conduct Medal. Interesting that they gave him an Army Philippine Campaign Medal even though he qualified for it when he was a Marine. I guess his request for the medal went through Army channels.

Excellent and unique grouping!

Kurt

That's a very early, low number Marine Good Conduct Medal. Interesting that they gave him an Army Philippine Campaign Medal even though he qualified for it when he was a Marine. I guess his request for the medal went through Army channels.

Excellent and unique grouping!

Kurt

When the Philippine Campaign Badges were authorized he was serving in the U.S. Army. As mentioned his authorization for the medal was for his USMC Philippine Service as noted. PI_Campaign_Authorization_Doc.JPG

He then received a U.S. Army Philippine Campaign medal, as noted. PI_Campaign_Medal_No._14602_award_doc.JPG

And to the best of my knowledge and research he never received a USMC Philippine Campaign when he returned to the Corps.

I have another USMC group that has a USMC Philippine, awarded to the recipient as a Marine, for his service in the U.S. Army! Go figure - and "Never say Never"

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

• 9 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

Truly well researched Bob. I had all but forgotten about the League Island Naval Yard... there's allot of USMC history that resides there and deserving of much more research. Interesting to note he arrived in Cavite just days after Gen W.T. Waller Sr had returned from the Samar Expedition... the tales he must have heard.... Thanks Bob for sharing Harry Kull's story with us! Semper Fi, Darrell

What I especially like about this thread is that Harry Kull was one of those old-breed Marines that Capt. John Thomason wrote about in his famous essay. Thanks for sharing such great photos and research.

Jim