Unknown Numbered Infantry Officer Branch Insignia

seanmc1114

I ran across this photo of LTC John C. Morrisey, Jr. wearing Infantry branch insignia with the number 3 above and some letters below which I can't completely make out. TRS? The Ranger School?

Any thoughts?

post-1761-0-99084100-1427323139.jpg

post-1761-0-32097800-1427323332.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is post Korean, wasn't the 3rd Infantry at Ft.Meyer then?

Not 3rd Inf gomorgan, note he wears neither the 3rd Inf cocked hat DI nore the Buff Strap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

LTC John C. Morrisey Jr. was my grandfather. He did finish his career at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO in the mid 1960's as battalion commander of the 3rd Training Regiment, 3rd Battalion. He started out as a private and worked all of the way up to LTC. He fought with the 36th Division (143rd Infantry) during WWII. He fought with the 7th Division (17th Infantry) during the Korean War. He earned two Silver Stars, one Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart (for being shot twice at the Battle of San Pietro). He was a POW in Germany and escaped capture after being in OFLAG 64 for a good while. I've been working on a profile of his entire career for my family. Sorry if this is not where the question was going, but since he passed last year I've been missing him like crazy and thought I'd provide a little additional feedback

LTC John C. Morrisey Jr. was my grandfather. He did finish his career at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO in the mid 1960's as battalion commander of the 3rd Training Regiment, 3rd Battalion. He started out as a private and worked all of the way up to LTC. He fought with the 36th Division (143rd Infantry) during WWII. He fought with the 7th Division (17th Infantry) during the Korean War. He earned two Silver Stars, one Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart (for being shot twice at the Battle of San Pietro). He was a POW in Germany and escaped capture after being in OFLAG 64 for a good while. I've been working on a profile of his entire career for my family. Sorry if this is not where the question was going, but since he passed last year I've been missing him like crazy and thought I'd provide a little additional feedback

Not at all STL, is very important and worthwhile to always find more info on an individual who's photo has been posted. Also sorry to here he past.

Your Grandfather sounds like he was quite an impressive MAN!

I would imagine your Grandfather is the source of immense pride within your family. Thank you for providing the additional information!!

Chris

Thank you for sharing your grandfathers story.

R.I.P. Col