Removing paint from fabric ?

Justin

I know this may be a long shot, but I recently brought a nice Korean War era USMC flak vest, the only issue is someone spilled white paint on the back. Any way to remove the paint? I was considering trying to cover it up with OD paint. But any advice on how to remove paint from such fabric would be great.

Thanks in advance.

J

if it isnt soaked in you might be able to scrape the bulk of it off... it may leave a slight stain but it might be easier to clean off that way

if it isnt soaked in you might be able to scrape the bulk of it off... it may leave a slight stain but it might be easier to clean off that way

It's way soaked, paint has been on for years. I was thinking of covering it up with OD #7 paint.

J

You could try cleaning it with a q-tip dipped in acetone or rubbing alcohol, but test it first on an invisible spot to see if the dye of the vest itself can withstand it!

I know this may be a long shot, but I recently brought a nice Korean War era USMC flak vest, the only issue is someone spilled white paint on the back. Any way to remove the paint? I was considering trying to cover it up with OD paint. But any advice on how to remove paint from such fabric would be great.

Thanks in advance.

J

Would it be possible to see a photo of this?

Here is a photo of the front of the vest. Overall really nice condition, working zipping, both spec tags in place and most important a size medium.

post-2305-0-72919000-1427927414.jpg

and... the rear. Not for the faint of heart. Still displays really nice on a mannequin.

post-2305-0-18341600-1427927462.jpg

Anybody have any more recommendations for removing the paint? The paint actually doesn't look very set in or thick. In a few spots I was able to scrap it off, leaving a light white stain.

J

Try oil solvents, if you have - kerosene, gasoline, etc, sometimes they will work.

But you need to carefully test it first on corner of your vest to make sure they will not bring more trouble - and the most important thing is, PROTECT YOURSELF, most of them are not good to human health. Hope it helps.

navycollector

I've heard that hairspray can be used to remove dried paint from fabric or clothing. Like the others said though I would try it in a hidden spot first. You have a decent amount of paint on the back so if something you try to remove it goes really wrong you can still display showing the front of it. I would start with the weakest solvent and move up from there until something works.