1920's USMC Campaign Hat Numeral Placement

patrick_usmc

patrick_usmc

Hello all,

I am doing a small display to honor a relative who fought in Nicaragua in 1928. According to one after action report, he was attached to HQ, 11th Marines. Part of the display is a campaign hat, but unfortunately i'm not quite sure how to affix the numerals. I have an HQ and an 11. I read the regs, but they don't mention having two numerals affixed at once. Was this actually done? If so, how? Photos would be appreciated if possible. Thanks!

-Patrick

Patrick if I am understanding your question correctly the 11 would be worn directly below the EGA and above the silk band. The only photo I have in my collection showing letter and number combination dates from 1909 in the PI. Then it was Company letter first followed by regimental number. I think this pre-dates your period. I know by the 20's company numbers were not routinely worn even if issued. It tended to be worn on a post by post basis.

Patrick, I know you said before you have a copy of Equipping the Corps. You will find your answer in there, with both good period photos and examples on pieces in current collections. The HQ would occupy the same space as the company numbers in the examples shown. Kevin