M1A1 Carbine with folding stock / original?

Hamster

Hello,

me was offered a nice M1A1 carbine with folding stock. On the first view it looks good, but I have done some internet research and now I'm not sure wether it is original or not.

Maybe someone of you has more experience with this rifle?

Two facts are raising doubts, but maybe I'm wrong:

1. The maker can not be read clearly because of the rear sight. The seller says that he can only read "UN...." (so I guess it is Underwood). I was told that all folding-stock carbines were made by Inland(?).

2. There are no markings/numbers on the inner side of the butt-plate. I was told that the number were part of the mold and should be in existence on every original.

Please find attached some photos.

I'm happy for every help

Thanks and best wishes

Mike

post-148700-0-32565100-1427118711.jpg

TheGrayGhost

I think this is a rebuild or a built gun with an original stock. I am a little rusty on my M1A1s, but you are correct that it should be an Inland receiver and barrel to be "original". There should be a 9 digit number cast into the butt plate, but it can be hard to read sometimes. There should also be a IO or RI/3 cartouche on the bottom of the pistol grip and an IO on the inside stock in the barrel well. This also has a low wood stock meaning it is either late production or rebuild. Hope this helps.

Stock looks original, receiver (which is a post -war rebuild) isn't original to the stock, the protective ears on the front sight have been ground off (not by the military), and if I were pricing it I'd put the stock at $800-1000 and the barreled receiver at $400-500. It's the sum of its parts and worth less than an original M1A1.

@thorin6: Thank you! I will try to get this gun. The stock is much more important for me than the carbine.

Maybe I can get an Inland made model one day which would fit better to the stock than the (reworked) Underwood model.

Why do you think that it is a post-war rebuild? Because of the grenade-symbol that looks like grinded?

Or are there any other details?

I already have bought one M1 made by National Postal Meter about 10 years ago.

But not as a collector's piece. So I'm not sure if it is in original configuration but it's lot of fun to shoot ;-)

post-148700-0-55897200-1427138001.jpg

post-148700-0-05520000-1427138018.jpg

Typically a P in a circle or square on the inside of the grip designates a arsenal rebuild on these stocks as the WW2 era ones did not have this marking.The one shown here has it on the left side of the grip.

The butt plate normally will have the numbers cast into the inner surface. RAISED or lack of numbers generally mean its a repro butt plate.

I have read where Rock Island produced a complete stock for replacement I the 1950s.These had the ordnance escutcheon on the right side of the grip.

Post war stocks may have a mix of IO,SA or RIA markings.

The adjustable sight, flip safety, and barrel band with bayonet lug on an Underwood are signs of a post-WWII rebuild. Winchester and Inland had some late war builds with all those characteristics, but if they are found on the other manufactured M1s they are indicative of a rebuilt carbine.

• 2 months later...
Sgt. Swigart

stock looks good they bring good money

The crudy Italian replica folders are getting 250.00 + on ebay, when they are available. I think it is outragious but I would still like to have one.

Sgt. Swigart

Stock looks original, receiver (which is a post -war rebuild) isn't original to the stock, the protective ears on the front sight have been ground off (not by the military), and if I were pricing it I'd put the stock at $800-1000 and the barreled receiver at $400-500. It's the sum of its parts and worth less than an original M1A1.

Here is an original that just sold on ebay for 1388.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Carbine-PARATROOPER-FOLDING-STOCK-Inland-USGI-ORIGINAL-Sling-Handguard-wow-/131511157093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9ead0165&nma=true&si=7xGpVBoh5OCB1Ta0icIlG621NOQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Good for the seller and I hope the buyer is 100% satisfied with that M1A1 stock off of e-bay. But whenever I read "Band of Brothers" tossed into the text of an add for an expensive "something" advertsied as 100% original USGI it does give me pause.

• 3 months later...

Please forgive my piggy-backing on this discussion. I have just picked up another folding-stock M1A1. It is marked with the Inland/ General Motors 7-44, and has the Inland as the maker of the weapon. I have no concerns about the weapon. However, it has a marking that I am unable to identify--"A.A.B" stamped into the rear of the stock above the pistol grip. Can you help me with an ID? Many thanks for your help. Jack

Typically a P in a circle or square on the inside of the grip designates a arsenal rebuild on these stocks as the WW2 era ones did not have this marking.The one shown here has it on the left side of the grip.

I have read where Rock Island produced a complete stock for replacement I the 1950s.These had the ordnance escutcheon on the right side of the grip.

That's misleading. A "P" in a circle on the rear of main stock housing IS correct for original WWII produced 1st run high wood M1A1 stocks. The larger ordnance stamp on the right side of the pistol grip IS correct for original WWII produced 2nd run M1A1 low wood stocks.

Please forgive my piggy-backing on this discussion. I have just picked up another folding-stock M1A1. It is marked with the Inland/ General Motors 7-44, and has the Inland as the maker of the weapon. I have no concerns about the weapon. However, it has a marking that I am unable to identify--"A.A.B" stamped into the rear of the stock above the pistol grip. Can you help me with an ID? Many thanks for your help. Jack

AA could be for Augusta Arsenal, and B would be the initial of the inspector that checked it out after going through the aresenal after WWII.

AA could be for Augusta Arsenal, and B would be the initial of the inspector that checked it out after going through the aresenal after WWII.

Thank you Thorin for your help. Where collectibles are concerned, ignorance is not bliss. Jack