NURSE PHOTO 6th CAV

BEAST

Here is one that I thought is a little unusual. Note the 6th Cav Regt insignia on the cuff. Not something I have ever seen on a women's uniform. Does anyone have other examples? Also I like the ADSEC SSI.

post-203-1170299601.jpg

Actually, I am assuming she is a nurse. Could she be in a different medical field? Medical Admin, etc? I can't really tell from her insignia.

craig_pickrall

Her BOS insignia has the N for nurse on it. I have seen that same pic posted before I believe. I'm just not sure where it was.

Thats a post WW2 pic isnt it Sarge.....possibly occupation when a lot of strange uiform quirks were noticed.....

basing that theory on her wearing what appears to be the victory medal ribbon

Regards

Lloyd

Her BOS insignia has the N for nurse on it. I have seen that same pic posted before I believe. I'm just not sure where it was.

Sgt B. Your eyes are better than mine! I thought it wa an "N", but I wasn't sure. I posted this photo on the MCF forum a couple of months ago.

• 1 month later...

The DI on her cuff is NOT the 6th Cav. It is for the 108th General Hospital. The motto reads: PRO DEO ET PATRIA (For God and Country). An article on medical DIs was published in The Trading Post, published by ASMIC.

post-622-1174671726.jpg

The DI on her cuff is NOT the 6th Cav. It is for the 108th General Hospital. The motto reads: PRO DEO ET PATRIA (For God and Country). An article on medical DIs was published in The Trading Post, published by ASMIC.

Tredhed2,

Thanks for posting that. I still have the question of why she would be wearing it on her cuff?

The 108th General Hospital was formed out of the medical school at Loyola University in Chicago, arrived in England in 1943 and took over a 3,000-bed hospital in Paris just a few days after the Nazi's left town (the hospital was an American design built in 1934).

Officers normally wore their DIs on their shoulder epaulets (that's why the term "shoulder crests" came about). If the officers of this hospital (or any unit) were authorized to wear only one DI, it would be logical to wear it on the cuff - there probably was directive to do so. Note the insignia on both sections of the lapels. With one DI being authorized, that's why EM wore them on their o/s caps.

P.S. USMF HQ must have found the article in the TP!

The 108th General Hospital was formed out of the medical school at Loyola University in Chicago, arrived in England in 1943 and took over a 3,000-bed hospital in Paris just a few days after the Nazi's left town (the hospital was an American design built in 1934).

USMF HQ must have found the article in the TP!

No... I've never seen the TP but it'd be nice if they would scan old issues and put them online.

But you can order back issues 1984-2007 (most still available) : http://www.asmic.org

Issues prior to those dates are tough to come by; there has been an overall improvement in the scholarly layout - at least in the past 9 years -and yes, it would be nice if pre-1984 issues were scanned and posted on line.