Japanese Battle Flag

WAHOOMAN

I have heard of this same project. They are apparently having good success at reuniting these with family members and descendants in Japan. Pretty neat in my opinion.

JD

You have to remember, a lot of Japanese MIA's were never recovered or returned. In many cases this is all the family has remaining of a soldier they sent off to war other than photos and letters. These flags were a very personal item, literally taking the best wishes of those who loved and cared with you into battle.

Charlie Flick

A little bit of searching turned up an article with the Public Radio link mentioned earlier. The people running the project in the USA have said, according to the broadcast, that of 100 or so returned flags about 25 have gotten back to Japanese family members.

Here is a link to the article and broadcast: http://nwpr.org/post/aging-us-veterans-seek-return-captured-wwii-flags-japan

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Flick

And I finally found the site of the organization in Oregon, Obon 2015, which has undertaken the project of returning these Yosegaki Hinomaru flags to family members. http://obon2015.com/english/

Regards,

Charlie

Glad you were able to get it translated. Not often you find someone who will translate ALL of the names; so that is even better!

You have to remember, a lot of Japanese MIA's were never recovered or returned. In many cases this is all the family has remaining of a soldier they sent off to war other than photos and letters. These flags were a very personal item, literally taking the best wishes of those who loved and cared with you into battle.

Agreed. That's why I think it's such a neat project. These flags were a very popular bring back item. There are many many thousands floating around the U.S.

These and various German flags were the most commonly found items when I used to run ads.

JD

Rakkasan187

Interesting to see the names that were researched.. Great job to those who help translate..

I have a few of these and maybe I will have them translated as well

Leigh

There is a possible downside to having one of these flags translated...

I once heard of a collector who tracked down a Japanese speaker at the language department of his local college. His new friend looked at the flag and then looked at him curiously. Apparently several of the characters translated to "Rice, fish, sake..." etc.

Apparently back in the day some enterprising SeaBee or Marine had sat down after the battle and embellished a blank flag with characters found on captured ration crates!

But yes, getting any of these translated is very much worth the effort.

The wife of a good friend is from Japan. When I asked her to translate I also asked to keep in mind if any words were out of place or not used properly. This would have been an indication of a fraudulent flag. Nothing out of the ordinary was picked up during translation. Also, the owner of the flag is Tadao Eguchi. I am still researching the American name of G.K. Perry. Should I identify Perry, I might be able to place the flag to a specific battle. Thanks for all of the comments.

• 2 weeks later...