Japanese Battle Flag

WAHOOMAN

I recently acquired this silk Japanese Battle Flag from a friend. The flag measures 35" X 26". It was found in a bottom of a back pack. The back pack also contained a pistol belt with canteen. The only name associated to this flag and back pack is Perry. I will post additional information of the veteran as soon as I can obtain it. The following are photos of the flag:

post-96084-0-38604000-1426973622.jpg

The flag should be displayed with the tabs at the right instead of the left. The top, bold kanji probably say something like "eternal good fortune in battle", or "kill a lot of yanks", whatever. The bold kanji down the side may be the recipient's name. Let us know!

I have two of these; not nearly in this good condition. They were widely faked by Seabees and Marines, at the time, to sell for money or trade for other items. I was so proud of my first flag, and it turned out to be a Seabee special. But the kanji on this one looks very good. If there is any concern it is in the "new" look of the fabric, but others more experienced than I will be able to verify age. Let's see what others here have to say.

I take it the belt and canteen were US? I love the flag also. A Japanese flag is the only "spoil" left of the items my dad brought back from the Pacific.

OK, I have screwed this up. The flag in the top pic is shown correctly, except that the tabs are usually on the right. I don't know if this is ALWAYS the case, however. Take a look at the Japanese Militaria Forum on WAF at http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=474dc5e1535caa1b509be46172ce20fb&t=493366

and you will see this kanji on the second picture down, being translated as "Eternal Good Fortune in Battle". Not sure why the tabs are on the left on your flag. Kanji is read top to bottom, or right to left on wartime flags. Any way, sorry to confuse things.

• 2 weeks later...

I obtained additional name on the veteran who I believe obtained the flag. The name is G.K. Perry. The flag was in a canteen holder. The canteen holder was found inside a roll top haversack. I have also posted the haversack under MISC/Unknown, because there is an unidentified marking inside the haversack.

post-96084-0-98359000-1428154452.jpg

Charlie Flick

Neat flag. I hope you can find out what the translation is and post it here.

The pistol belt and canteen cover in posts 20 and 21 are Viet Nam era, not WW2.

Regards,

Charlie

1966ww2collector

There was a news clip on npr radio last week talking about these flags. They were signed by family and friends of the Japanese soldiers to carry with them in battle. There is an organization that is accepting these for return to Japan. They are translating them and trying to identify the soldiers who carried them. If they can identify them, then they are returning them to the families of the soldiers. There have been several vets and vet families that have given these flags to the organization. In some cases there have been pretty emotional ceremonies where the families from both sides meet to exchange the flags. I don't remember the organization. By the way, I'm not suggesting that you give away your flag. Thus thread just reminded me of the segment and I thought I would share.

Doug

I had the flag translated. It turns out that signed on the flag are names. There were no clues to pin point the flag to a place in Japan or Battle. Some of the names included the following:

Jitsuo Ohkuma, Toyozo Oka, Saburo Moriwaki and Hirosho Mizukawa. A total of 46 names were translated. The bold letters on top of the flag translate to Eternal Luck in Long War.

There was a news clip on npr radio last week talking about these flags. They were signed by family and friends of the Japanese soldiers to carry with them in battle. There is an organization that is accepting these for return to Japan. They are translating them and trying to identify the soldiers who carried them. If they can identify them, then they are returning them to the families of the soldiers. There have been several vets and vet families that have given these flags to the organization. In some cases there have been pretty emotional ceremonies where the families from both sides meet to exchange the flags. I don't remember the organization. By the way, I'm not suggesting that you give away your flag. Thus thread just reminded me of the segment and I thought I would share.

Doug

I have heard of this same project. They are apparently having good success at reuniting these with family members and descendants in Japan. Pretty neat in my opinion.

JD