Girls Love a Man In Uniform!

siege1863

Always on the lookout for photos of kids in WWII-period uniforms or playing with period toys, I was able to pick up this one for a few dollars. I love the subject matter! Notice the bunny slippers on the twins' feet.

post-211-1216685283.jpg

Haha, sweet! :D That is a very cute photo. :) The closest thing I have to anything like this is a WWII child's bomber style jacket with AAF patches on the sleeve. Would have loved to seen the little tike in that!

- Jeff

post-1090-1216694507.jpg

Here is one of my mother's first cousin, George Lester Green taken when he was about 6 or so. His father was a Marine in WW1 - some of you may remember some of the photos I have posted about him.

Below that is George at the end of WW2 with his father, mother and wife. He didn't quite make Chief, although he probably would have in another few months had the war continued.

GLG6.jpg

Pgg25.jpg

RATING.jpg

We've been putting together some similar shots of my son so that in 80 years or so people can be amazed at how those kids like to dress up in "army suits" in the early 21st century.

willuniformds.jpg

We've been putting together some similar shots of my son so that in 80 years or so people can be amazed at how those kids like to dress up in "army suits" in the early 21st century.

post-214-1216699819.jpg

Hey your son is wearing a Dutch MP helmet for the Navy thumbsup.gif

Hey your son is wearing a Dutch MP helmet for the Navy thumbsup.gif

Yes, we had that around and he thought it looked cooler than a plain old OD helmet. The shirt is a 1967 vintage US jungle jacket.

Yes, we had that around and he thought it looked cooler than a plain old OD helmet. The shirt is a 1967 vintage US jungle jacket.

If you've got kids, let them play with some of the old stuff or give them some of their own: it will get them interested in the hobby and history.

willgun.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the poor quality image but the original photo is very faded since it dates back to the Spanish American War in 1898. This is a group of kids from the neighborhood where I live. Two of the boys in the photo later lived in our house around 1907 when they were teenagers. Apparently the local neighborhood boys wanted to play war shortly after the war with Spain broke out in 1898. The photo is titled "Cole's Cuban Cadets" and was apparently named after Charlie Cole who was the leader of this group of kids.

John

colescubancadets.jpg

As you can see, it got her into the cockpit of a P-51 Mustang at GML and in a Bamboo Bomber and an AT-11 at Victory Days. She got her first airplane ride in the AT-11. Daddy worked on the engine fixing an oil leak and she got to go up on the test flight afterwards with daddy. That uniform is a hit!! I've had repeated offers to sell it. It was, ironically, in a box of uniforms I bought and the guy said it was an old cubscout uniform.. I didn't even look. I had got a mint WW2 enlisted uniform in a large size at a great price, and there was some WW1 and 30's era stuff in ithe box too. I was more concerned with seeing the haul I'd just bought. I found the child's uniform at home and it fit's her like it was made for her..

Fins.

post-4106-1224867345.jpg

post-4106-1224867351.jpg

Here's a couple of pics to share of my two boys, Jordan & Andrew. The first one was a number of years back during a typical cold winter here in Wisconsin. I spent over a month making the snow fort and ice tank for the kids to play on. We even got to shoot roman candles out of the tank barrel!

The second pic was taken about 4 years ago on Halloween. The third pic was also taken on Halloween about 3 years ago when we all decided to dress up as characters from "Hogan's Heroes". I made a fat Col. Hogan, Andrew was a skinny Sgt. Schultz, and Jordan was a very young looking Col. Klink (minus the monicle)...LOL!

John

icetank.jpg

halloween1.jpg

halloween2.jpg