Olive, wool Jacket. What type is it?

Datil_Mountain_Muse

Datil_Mountain_Muse

I found this at thrift store a few weeks ago. no date or label on it. Is it even military?

Has a few moth holes, but all the buttons are there. Last photo shows color better.

post-112872-0-94931800-1426721771.jpgpost-112872-0-10235000-1426721783.jpg

BTW, paid a total of........ 10¢ for it.

post-112872-0-03980900-1426721794.jpg

I have the exact same article of clothing. I believe it is a US Army Korean Era wool field shirt. Other than a size tag at the collar like yours I have found no other tags. I am confused about this item also. Why the absence of QM tags?

It's the Army's Olive Green wool Field Shirt that was introduced as part of the M1951 clothing system. For the most part, these came out too late to be used in the Korean War, so I wouldn't call it that. All of the markings were typically printed directly on the inside of the shirt below the collar and may simply have worn off. These shirts and the later wool/nylon blend version were used into the early 90's in cold climates.

Datil_Mountain_Muse

It's the Army's Olive Green wool Field Shirt that was introduced as part of the M1951 clothing system. For the most part, these came out too late to be used in the Korean War, so I wouldn't call it that. All of the markings were typically printed directly on the inside of the shirt below the collar and may simply have worn off. These shirts and the later wool/nylon blend version were used into the early 90's in cold climates.

That is very helpful info, thanks. I looked all over the inside, and did not see any markings, so it must have worn off thru laundering/wearing.

Was probably requisitioned and then became available just as the Korean [undeclared] War wound down.

Buttons do look like the ones on late 1950's Army fatigues etc.

Was probably requisitioned and then became available just as the Korean [undeclared] War wound down.

It had nothing to do with the Korean War. The Army began redesigning their cold weather clothing in the late 1940's based on the experience of WWII. Several components were adopted as interim designs in 1948 and 1950, but it took until 1951 to get the full ensemble complete and standardized. Production began in 1951-52, but the priority was always Western Europe, not Korea. Korea was seen as a diversion with the real threat being a Soviet invasion of Europe. So, the new stuff went to Europe first and eventually got to Korea, most of it after the armistice was signed.

FWIW, I was issued these as part of initial cold weather kit in the Army National Guard in 1993. Some had tiny tags at the neck, as shown, while others had info stamped in orange ink below the top seam of the back (as memory serves).

No Goretex for me until late 1994.

For cold weather, we were issued the wool shirts shown here, M65 jackets with liners, fishtail type parkas with liners, and a set of polypro.