The most important US medal... for me as a German

Marksman

Today i got this beautiful medal,

for me as german it is a very important medal. Its like a seal of the german-american friendship after the war - and even thoug i was born in the "other" germany , the German Democratic Republic.

The Berlin Airlift was a perfect example how ex enemies can work hand-in-hand to beat a new enemy.

Thanks for looking

Stefan

post-54820-0-04405400-1426713135.jpg

post-54820-0-60586700-1426713141.jpg

Today i got this beautiful medal, for me as german it is a very important medal. Its like a seal of the german-american friendship after the war - and even thoug i was born in the "other" germany , the German Democratic Republic.

The Berlin Airlift was a perfect example how ex enemies can work hand-in-hand to beat a new enemy.

Thanks for looking

Stefan

Stefan,

That is a beautiful medal. Congrats. And you are right about working hand-in-hand.

...Kat

Stefan

Very poignant and personal vignette. It really speaks to the different perspectives we have as collectors regarding what is important to us and what is appealing regardless of how flashy it is. There is always a more human story behind the medals we collect even where there is no specific service person or record connected, your personal experience is a great example of how much the simple can have a quiet but deep impact.

Anthony

Nice medal and great sentiment. Here is General Lucius Clay's 3 and 4 star flags with a signed War Dept. photo which hung in the hallway of his office building in Berlin. He would be the man chiefly responsible for caring for and feeding the German population by initiating the Berlin Airlift.

post-143615-0-85217100-1426715336.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
jeff arthur

Stefan,for this action (Berlin Airlift) there was also a ribbon device for the Occupation Service Medal authorized, you should have one as well to display with this medal,please message me back with your mailing address so I can send you one... Thanks & Best Regards, Jeff

Garandomatic

One of my favorites as well. I like to make the point that the sheer effort of the Airlift, hauling something over 6500 tons per day, a plane every three minutes, might very well exceed the effort put forth to bomb Germany during the war, yet here were were three years later, saving lives instead. Dropping candy bars, not bombs. What a wonderful story.

What a great medal, and a symbol of true humanitarianism. There was a wonderful film on PBS a few months back featuring the original Candy Bomber, Col. Gail Halvorsen. Well worth a watch if you catch it on one of your local stations.

Thank you all for your very nice replies.

A few days ago here in germany i saw a nice documentation to. Its a shame that the Berlin arlift is just a very small chapter here in schools. Thats why i try to get some stuff to make a little display for a lokal school.

Greetings

Stefan

suwanneetrader

If the children of the World could somehow speak and interact together "BEFORE" the leaders (Political and Church) as well as other Adults had poisoned their minds there would finally be Peace in the World for all mankind. Just a very nice fantasy from this old man. MOD if against the rules I understand if you delete. Richard

• 3 weeks later...

I remember a friend who was one of the pilots to fly into Berlin and if I am not mistaken the first pilot. He passed away in California many years ago. He served in WW2 as a bomber pilot then flew many missions to bring food to the German people in Berlin. Things change and so do people. Treasure it.

Great story about a moment in time, when there was allot of doubt in a country, that was trying to recover after a detesting war.