Web Gear Cleaning and Preservation

usmc3439

Hello to all!

I am sure this topic has been discussed in the forum somewhere in the past but I could not find anything posted here.

So my question is; What is the proper way of cleaning and preserving vintage web gear?

I have some magazine pouches, belts and other items that could use a good cleaning after been in someones basement for 70 years.

I look forward learning more about the subject.

Heri

If items are covered with dust (or other topical matter), just brush them off using a soft nylon brush. If they are soiled and require cleaning, I usually hand wash in sink with mild detergent like Woolite or Ivory Snow. Significant stains may require gentle brushing. Allow them to dry indoors! Putting them in sunlight will fade them. Hope this helps.

Backtheattack

Could only support the words of tarheeltim, when you wash the items let them time to dry - never use a heater! And didn`t use a brush, only with hand without great power - with brush and power the result might be terrible.

I will not do this process with my old fellas until it is necessarily enough - I mean, such as you found some corrosive chemicals on it. You can try to use air dusters or soft brushes to deal with the dirt, or hand wash them in warm water.

Again it might be NOT a good idea to use ANY chemical stuff for cleaning your old stuff, such as laundry detergents, especially if they are over 70 years old. Hope it helps

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would only brush or blow compressed air on web items, personally.

Water will not have a good result IMO. Unless the item is VERY soiled.

-Brian