WWI US Army Indoor Service target carrier?

fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350

I recently had this come into my possession. It is still a sealed box which is US Army ordnance department stenciled "Indoor Service Target Carrier Unit." The box is still sealed (nailed shut) and has several shipping labels to one side. One of the labels is a transportation label with Railway Express Agency from July 1944 and has a stated value of $50 for this box. Does anyone have any information on this or what it looked like? I really do not want to open the box to find out and I have not been able to find any manuals of reference photos of this unit. Any help would be appreciated.

post-2569-0-59183200-1426699995.jpg

My guess would be it is one of the variable distance target pulley systems used to move the target out from and back to the firing line in an indoor shooting range.

My $0.02. Thanks, Al.

• 2 weeks later...
bootsandbooks

Al -

Are all shipping labels to military addressees? If not, is there a chance someone used a left over crate to send home personal items?

Al -

Are all shipping labels to military addressees? If not, is there a chance someone used a left over crate to send home personal items?

boots---not my item. Originally was posted by fordmustanggt_350. Sorry, Al.