M1A1 Carbine Mag Pouch Question...

Morlok

I have a question for the M1A1 fans out there...

I bought a mixmaster carbine, based on a matching Postal Meter reciever & barrel. The carbine is beautiful, but the stock was a beat up mess. So, I purchased a repro M1A1 stock set, spent a few days fitting it, and about 3 months putting a beautiful finish on it. My problem is the ammo pouch. I have seen pouches on the folding wire stock in old photos, but I cannot figure how to fit one on mine. I'm assuming the best way would be to remove the wire stock from the wood. But, its a pain in the behind to squeeze it together when putting long screw back in!! Any suggestions? Was this done in the field, or is it more of a collector thing? Thanks!

Dirt Detective

I cant remember ever seeing a period M1A1 with a stock mag pouch on it, would love to see one if you have one. On the other hand the Paratrooper carbines look better without one on it in MY opinion.

Remember like here in California I believe M1A1's are considered assault weapons in Maryland.

Simply, field strip the action out of the stock. Slip the pouch from the muzzle to stock. put action back in stock. Sew a tack about halfway up the pouch to keep it from moving forward

Remember like here in California I believe M1A1's are considered assault weapons in Maryland.

When I purchased the Carbine with the standard wooden stock, it was right at the time of the new MD gun laws. It was already considered an assault weapon & I had to jump through a few hoops, and wait MONTHS to pick it up! I didn't agree & called the State Trooper in charge of the whole mess. He called me back in about an hour & was actually a really great guy! He said the law is a mess & needs to be changed, so as not to include USGI Carbines, but as of current, they are indeed assault weapons. Crazy! I'll try to post a picture soon!

When I purchased the Carbine with the standard wooden stock, it was right at the time of the new MD gun laws. It was already considered an assault weapon & I had to jump through a few hoops, and wait MONTHS to pick it up! I didn't agree & called the State Trooper in charge of the whole mess. He called me back in about an hour & was actually a really great guy! He said the law is a mess & needs to be changed, so as not to include USGI Carbines, but as of current, they are indeed assault weapons. Crazy! I'll try to post a picture soon!

Any "assault weapons" laws are a mess and need to not exist :dry:

Garandomatic

I tried it on mine, and if I recall, it either slipped off the end, or was so loose and floppy that it was clearly something that I wasn't interested in pursuing.

Mine slips over the buttplate and will slip off without magazines in it. This might be why you don't see war time pictures with them on the M1A1 butt stock. Only a guess.

Dirt Detective

Check out this picture. Still from newsreel footage of 551st PIB getting ready to board C-47s for Operation Dragoon, 15 August 1944.

Good find...looks like two pouches.

• 1 month later...
mikes militaria

post-154336-0-90743700-1429924042.jpg

They are an easy fit, a little loose but functional. Are you using the "Buttstock" pouch or are you trying the belt pouch?