75mm Pack Howitzer restoration at the Air Mobility Command Museum

Teamski

Hey guys,

I am a volunteer at the Air Mobility Command Museum here in Dover, Delaware. We got a 75mm Pack Howitzer to restore and display next to the Museum's combat vet C-47. The project took a couple months but it was a lot of fun getting over adversity from time to time. It looks really nice now and the elevation gear no longer takes two guys struggling to work! It works beautifully! Enjoy the photos! Here is how we got the thing. The barrel and sleigh assembly were painted black and the trail was painted gray to look like a civil war cannon!

-Ski

post-3043-0-08495100-1426527628.jpg

Getting the parts broken down was a challenge. The springs required a special set of tools that we had to modify to work. The springs could then be held in tension so we could take apart the elevation gear.

post-3043-0-92657100-1426527711.jpg

after stripping, priming and painting along with a lot of elbow grease removing gunk and rust, the gun went together and looks a hell of a lot better now! It was a blast learning more about how these things were put together. Right now we are working on the jump seats for the C-47. We got an original set of those and plan on having them done in April at some point.

-Ski

post-3043-0-48435400-1426527890.jpg

phantomfixer

Shoulda posted pics of our leftover parts ; ) Kidding!!!...It did turn out nice...

Eric did a great job on the elevation assy...it took two men to elevate the barrel prior to restoration...now, it is butter smooth and easy as pie to crank up or down

• 4 weeks later...

Tea ski are you originally from England, it's just you have in memory of....British regiment soldiers killed in ww1

My great grandfather was in the duke of wellingtons regiment.

Tea ski are you originally from England, it's just you have in memory of....British regiment soldiers killed in ww1

My great grandfather was in the duke of wellingtons regiment.

I was stationed in the UK for 7 years. I have these soldiers' medal groups.

-Ski

Cobrahistorian

Great job! Let me know if you guys need the leather boot for the traverse on the axle. I've got a guy here that reproduces them and they're flawless!

Jon

Great job! Let me know if you guys need the leather boot for the traverse on the axle. I've got a guy here that reproduces them and they're flawless!

Jon

We used rubberized canvas and machine sewed the pieces together to form the bellows. It turned out really well. Re-attaching the boot was quite the adventure!

-SKi

Jon

If you're referring to Dustin, I just installed one of his boots on my M1A1 Pack Howitzer last week. He did a fine job and my piece looks great with it installed.

Cobrahistorian

Robin,

Yep, Dustin's my man. He works for me here at Sill (not to mention the guy's my best friend!). He's gonna do the boots on our M3 3" AA gun once we start putting it back together.

J