B-26 Marauder Flak Bait moving along!

Teamski

Visited Udvar-Hazy Saturday with my very understanding wife. It looks like Flak Bait is moving closer to reassembly. Pretty Slick I say!

-Ski

post-3043-0-82216700-1426526730.jpg

Garandomatic

Outstanding! Is this to be a flying restoration? If I remember right, there was one that flew a while back that crashed...

AAF_Collection

Good to see it's being conserved and the original paint retained, rather than 'restored'. How many other preserved WWII aircraft still have their original paintwork? I can think of a handful at most.

Outstanding! Is this to be a flying restoration? If I remember right, there was one that flew a while back that crashed...

Static only of course. The B-26 you are referring to was the silly loss of a B-26 on approach back in the 1990's IIRC. It was added to the long list of losses by the Confederate Air Force that included a Helldiver, and a P-82. Tragic and unnecessary.

I don't think the folks at the Air and Space Museum would ever think to repaint the plane. They already have a Me-163, P-38 and P-61 still in their original schemes. This one would be right at home.

-Ski

Thanks for sharing....it is really amazing to see it even in that state, all in original 'dress'. It will be definitely a show stopper once they get it all together!

Thanks for the update on this. There are only about 6 B-26s left. The one you pictured at NASM, Fantasy of Flight, Pima, USAFM, one in France, and one at MAPS. Here are some pictures of the one at MAPS I took a week ago. It's been a long restoration and is finally nearing completion. In the last month or two it got a nose cone (had to be fabricated from scratch).

post-855-0-92569700-1426563915.jpg

post-855-0-20900400-1426563918.jpg

A WW2 pilot I knew said they jokingly called short-winged B-26 the "Flying Prostitute" as it had no visible means of support!

B-26 at the National Museum of the USAF.

post-32676-0-60242500-1426710321.jpg

Garandomatic

I've heard that before. Baltimore Wh*re is another. Very interesting plane, once figured out, it had one of the best safety records of all WWII, I guess.

I've heard that before. Baltimore Wh*re is another. Very interesting plane, once figured out, it had one of the best safety records of all WWII, I guess.

The early shorter winged versions were known as the "Widow Maker" because they had high accident rates on take off and landings. After they corrected it by adding, I think 3 feet to each wing, it went on to have the losses accident rate of any Allied aircraft.

Backtheattack

It`s a great restoration project! Here in Germany some museums build their planes back to civilian aircrafts, it`s a shame but in this country with it`s anti-military politicians nobody should wonder about.