another detail 1944 griswold bag

Garandy

Guess I didnt explain it well

This one was modified by parachute maintenance with added tie down strap to the front.Have seen these added on the

back as well.Both green or white webb strapping was used.Some webbing was thinner and some was wider than shown.

Will look at the back of this bag as I dont recall if there was added straps there

post-342-0-10513200-1426560497.jpg

Back of the above shown bag

If the white strap is like this one and sewn completely down to the back of the case its a standard strap thats on all the Griswold cases.This strap originally had a snap hook on it to attach to the harness or buckle to secure it while jumping.The white webb strap is sewn on at an angle.

Often the snap hook was cut off(as shown here) for one reason or another or when used post war for a commercial weapon.

post-342-0-34250800-1426569304.jpg

The white strap and hook are there. The added strap is exactly as you show, but no extension added for full length rifle, it's original otherwise. You're pic shows the added strap not at an angle. Same color as the bag.

From what I have seen the additional straps were added so another strap could be used as a tie down. Mostly white straps were used during WWII on equipment at least through Holland. It was the typical webbing used on the parachute harness and drop bags, etc., There are not as many pictures available for Varsity (At least I have not had a chance to review as many) as are available for Holland. I think and believe a majority of the green straps were sewn on post war and became a standard feature on the M-1950 Griswold bag. Just my opinion from observations..