NYNG Marksmanship Badges and Awards Group named to George Pond

Teebo

I won this lot on eBay named to a George Pond. Any help about him or which medals these are would be appreciated. Thanks!

Auction read,

GREAT GROUPING TO 1 MAN IN THE 7TH NY NG...USV. HIS COLLAR BRASS HAS A BENT OVER PIECE OF BRASS AS A CLASP WHICH IS CORRECT FOR THIS PERIOD. FOUND HERE IN KEY WEST FROM 1 FAMILY. FABULOUS LADDER BADGE OF PERFECT ATTENDANCE FROM 1901 TO 1909...MISSED 1903. LARGE MEDAL WHICH IS BRONZE IS NAMED TO GEORGE POND AND DATED 1894 AND SERIAL NUMBERED 193........THE 3 & 5 NUMERALS ON 2 OF THE SHOOTING MEDALS ARE GOLD, NOT PLATED

post-154916-0-68909800-1426367430.jpg

Thanks for the information. I was trying to get information on the medals and what they might have been received for.

There were a lot of volunteer units. Not just the rough riders

Agree. The linked article goes into that.

1SG_1st_Cav

I think Teddy Roosevelt troops were Cavalry. They sure weren't Coast Artillery Troops. They would not have worn Coast Artillery Crossed Cannons!

Did not think he was part of the rough riders but can not find anything on a George Pond service of 1884.

Will take close ups when I can.

• 3 months later...
JMcCulloch

Very nice grouping to a member of the socially elite NY 7th regiment! There are a couple of books about the regiment and its membership was like a "Who is Who" of New York back in the era of Edith Wharton's High Society!

mars&thunder

OK, the small circular medal with the mountains on the obverse is a Type 1 NYNG shooting badge, issued 1876-1892. The two similar badges with the eagle are the type 2 NYNG shooting badge, issued 1893 - 1897. The heavy cross above the USV brass is the type 3 NYNG shooting badge issued form 1898 - 1913. If the NYNG service member had been federalized during the Spanish American war and if he had qualified as at least a marksman in either 1897 or 1899, he'd have a bar right above the planchet that said 18 - USV - 98. The cross to the far left with the 7 on it is the 7th Regiment's Cross of Honor (for long and faithful service) first issued in 1884. It looks like this is the 10 year version. The medal with the red drape on the far right is the 7th regiments centennial medal (1806 - 1906). The medal in the middle with all the dated bars is (I'm pretty sure) the 10th regiment's 100% Duty medal. The 7th was in NY City, the 10th in Albany.