Silver & Gray Chevrons

Wedgehead30

Wedgehead30

This pair of chevrons came in a small lot of insignia from a WWII Flight Officer. At first I thought maybe they were Flying Cadet but the colors are reversed. Now I'm stumped. Maybe just a private academy ? Any thoughts appreciated.

post-124172-0-60996200-1426365032.jpg

I believe these are the chevrons used on the WAC "horizon tan" off-duty uniform from 1944 until probably 1948. There was a light shade for the summer uniform and a darker shade for the winter. I think these are the winter shade.

I am not 100% sure these are WAC chevrons. In WWII, the WAC wore the same size chevrons as the men. The smaller chevrons came out later. There is described in "Dressed for Duty" a taupe uniform designed in 1950. "Their insignia of rank were made in a reduced size and one of the new chamois color thread upon a taupe backing". The pictures I have seen for this chevron show a darker color than this lighter grey. It could be your flash.

What kind of material would you say are these chevrons?

This thread shows the darker color that I mentioned:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64322-wac-chevrons/

These could be WAC chevrons but as I said, I am not 100% sure. If they are, I believe they are post WWII but I could be wrong there too. :) Hopefully, someone with a chevron book such as Emerson's book can chime in here.

....Kat

My information comes from Emerson's books. The taupe chevrons are a completely different animal from the 1944 "off-duty" chevrons.

Thank you for the pictures from the reference book. They really help to show the difference in the chevrons. Pictures help a lot more than the words that I was reading from websites regarding the off duty dress. :)

I stand corrected....Kat

Thank you for the pictures from the reference book. They really help to show the difference in the chevrons. Pictures help a lot more than the words that I was reading from websites regarding the off duty dress. :)

I stand corrected....Kat

Thanks. The pictures are scans from my collection, not from Emerson's book. The information concerning them is from the book.

Wedgehead30

Thank you again Sir,

Very informative and very helpful.....And do I feel like an idiot I have the same book and completely dismissed that section because I thought they were Silver on Gray. But as my wife is fond of reminding me, "there's a reason the EOD guys aren't color blind like you".....lol

Are the chevrons from your own collection ?

Thanks again,

Scott

Wedgehead30

Thank you again Sir,

Very informative and very helpful.....And do I feel like an idiot I have the same book and completely dismissed that section because I thought they were Silver on Gray. But as my wife is fond of reminding me, "there's a reason the EOD guys aren't color blind like you".....lol

Are the chevrons from your own collection ?

Thanks again,

Scott

Disregard the question. Already answered........thanks

Very informative and very helpful.....And do I feel like an idiot I have the same book and completely dismissed that section because I thought they were Silver on Gray.

I am sorry that I forgot to tell you, congrats on a nice pair of chevrons. I love learning about women's items. This is one that I have never seen or heard about. Thanks for posting them.

...Kat