HGU-2A/P helmet qustion

popcorn

Hi. I'm thinking of picking up a Land manufacturing 1969 dated USAF HGU-2A/P. The question I have is if it was common to re-paint the shells. This one is green under the white paint where there is some chipping. Both appear to be factory paint and not done in the field. The Label is over the white paint so it would have been green prior to '69. Thanks.

I believe the contract specs for the HGU-2A always required a non-yellowing white exterior finish.

I recently stripped and repainted a Gentex shell and it had a reddish primer underneath the white. Possibly the green you're seeing is primer?

Alternatively, it could be a VN-era helmet which started out white, was painted green, and then repainted white.

I believe the AFH-1 and HGU-36 are the only two factory green helmets used by USAF.

Bluespicker

HGU-2 A/P would have a mil-spec white paint job. I have seen them paint around the label in the field. Could you post a few pictures? LSTs in Vietnam reported that they painted a few helmets green in the field as the request of the flyers. A-1 USAF Skyraiders and some TAC aircrew. Are you sure the helmet is an HGU-2 A/P?

HGU-2 A/P would have a mil-spec white paint job. I have seen them paint around the label in the field. Could you post a few pictures? LSTs in Vietnam reported that they painted a few helmets green in the field as the request of the flyers. A-1 USAF Skyraiders and some TAC aircrew. Are you sure the helmet is an HGU-2 A/P?

Hi. I'm going to pick it up and post pics tomorrow. I wrote down some info:

Tag on the back of the shell:

HELMET, FLYING, HGU-2A/P

MIL-H-26671B(USAF)

F41608-69-D-5233

MFG: LAND MFG. INC.

It looks configured for a helicopter or low altitude. Instead of a mask it has an external boom mic aperture on the left hand side. There are 2 small plastic sleeves on the plug in wire also marked:

CORD rump'Y ELEC.

ROANWELL P/N 59690

And the other:

HAEDSET MIC H-256/AIC

ROANWELL P/N 108110

5965-999-3589

DSA 9-22110 U.S.

Thanks again.

northcoastaero

I had an HGU-2A/P at one time that was made out of a greenish fiberglass and possibly green resin and primer. Had the original white paint over it. The boom microphone looks to be a civil David Clark. I do not believe they were used by the USAF? Also, the markings on the visor housing may not be original USAF.

I had an HGU-2A/P at one time that was made out of a greenish fiberglass and possibly green resin and primer. Had the original white paint over it. The boom microphone looks to be a civil David Clark. I do not believe they were used by the USAF? Also, the markings on the visor housing may not be original USAF.

Thank you. It does look like green fiberglass and has spots of reddish primer that don't show up in the pics. I read the USAF have used the Clark mics but I think it is a later addition so I'll likely swap it with one more period to the helmet. I'm not sure about the tape markings. I read that the standard issue was white paint with reflective tape but nothing more specific.

Thank you. It does look like green fiberglass and has spots of reddish primer that don't show up in the pics. I read the USAF have used the Clark mics but I think it is a later addition so I'll likely swap it with one more period to the helmet. I'm not sure about the tape markings. I read that the standard issue was white paint with reflective tape but nothing more specific.

Actually I turned over the wire coming out of the boom mic and it has USAF markings. It is hardwired in rather than plugged in to the mic so it does appear to be mil spec. Pic attached.

post-91916-0-10330900-1426616341.jpg

Just curious, what type of earphones are installed in the helmet?

Hi. They are tight in the helmet so unfortunately I can't see info on the back of them. I am fairly certain they are the H-154A/AIC. They have the right shape, foam cushions, etc. The connecter plug numbers are U-173/U and U-174/U.